Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 400E Power steering pump and water pump, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:50 AM
Default 92 400E Power steering pump and water pump, need advice

Hello, I am a new owner of a 92 400E with 170K. First time Mercedes owner. With its age, it will need a lot of maintenance to bring it up in good health. Currently, there is a big power steering leak and I suspect it is the hose between the reservoir and the pump. Because the pump has been run without fluid few times, I bought a rebuilt pump from autohaus to replace the leaking one. I removed the 2 bolts that hold the steering pump bracket ( one under the reservoir and the other one behine the bracket on the driver side), but the bracket don't want to come off. Am I missing a bolt somewhere?

Also, as part of the maintence, i like to replace the water pump. However, I see that one of the mounting bolts is behind the big harmonic balancer. I don't see a way to loosen that bolts without taking out the cooling fan bracket (that will make me to take out the alternator) and the harmonic balancer. If I am right, is it worth it to do? Or should I wait until the water pump fail?

Beside that, here is my maintence list to bring the 400E back to life:

change out tranny fluid filter, tranny fluid, oil change, caps, rotors, wires, plugs, new power steering pump, filter, differential oil, drive belt change, new fan clutch, coolant change, thermostat change, and drive belt tensioner change.

Am i missing anything?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Default RE: 92 400E Power steering pump and water pump, need advice

Don't go looking for trouble where there is no trouble apparent. You could spend a mint and still not preclude the inevitable. If power-steering pump is your problem, and it's apparent; then deal with the power steering unit. BTW, recommend you replace the whole power-steering unit, and hoses. That's exactly why you visually inspect, listen, smell, and observe your gauges. When there is trouble, then run to the rescue. But, don't be the MayTag man...poised and postured with wrench and screwdriver in hand, just itching to repair something, or fix something that don't need it.

Now, if you just want to spend some money, or better, give some money away...I could help you with that! All's you have to do is just send it to me...or better, route it through Paypal. And I'll thank you in advance for it. Good luck to you.