Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

DAS ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Default RE: DAS ?

....What I meant by "disconnected" the power source was...... unplug the wiring pin that goes into the switch-over valve, by doing this my flap is open by default. I notice that the two small hoses that connected to the switch-over valves were green color, hard plastic like material...like you'd said, these could be ruptured or cracked...etc. In case, I can't pin-point the exact spot....I'm thinking of changing the whole bundles of these hoses......Do you think it's a good idea?....Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 AM

Hi Stuart,
Here is my findings.....after about 15 minutes of checking the switch-over valve and the surrounding. I had finally found the "actual" source of that annoying "hiss". It didn't come from the switch-over valve unit, but from another piece directly above....I have no clues of its' function or name, this unit is approx 3 in. tall, 1.5 in wide and 2 in deep. It has a orange color, rubber like band in between two hard plastic cover pressed together, and has one hose connect directly to 1 of the switch-over 2 valves, and there're a small white plastic box on the right side of this unit. As long as the AC on, everything is fine, the second I turn the AC off, the "hiss" is there. And if I pressed/squeezed that misterious unit, the noise stops.....

How do I remove/replace that faulty unit?????

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:40 AM

Hi,
Trying to guess what something is from somebody else's description is a little haphazard.
However I believe the component to which you refer is a vacuum resevoir.
I guess that this has cracked and needs to be replaced. This would fit with your symptoms.

Rather than buying a new unit you could possibly repair it with PVC tape wrapped around the body or similar dependent upon where the crack is etc.

However I may be completely wrong.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 PM

..It's a good idea, Stuart...is to save the "reservoir" if we can. However, it does take time and effort to remove those panels to get to that little thing....and my thought is to be on the sure side and replace the bad unit....peace of mind, if you will. The problem is that I can get to that "reservoir", but can not remove it from where it's at. Do you have any info (illustrations/pictures) on how to do this, I'm not so sure of how to safely remove it and not breaking anything else in there....there is not much room in that area. thanks.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 AM

OK.
I will look up the part in WIS to confirm that my identification guess is correct.
Unfortunately I don't currently have a screen for my PC (I normally use a Mac) so its a problem. However you have been very patient and persistent so I'll make the effort.
WIS will also provide the installation/removal details.

Send us a PM with your normal email address so that I can send you any pictures etc. For whatever reason this site doesn't allow me to attach images (even when resized and despite asking for help nobody has offered an explanation why. C'est la vie!)
Stuart

Old 09-15-2006, 04:32 AM

Cool...Here's my direct email address KHA460@AOL.COM. Hopefully, you will be able get some picture illustrations or direction for this issue of mine.
Many thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Default UPDATE

I have a 2000 SLK 230 78,000 miles. Intermittent no start turn key nothing happens after cycling key switch 3 or 4 time she makes fire. Battery is new cables tight no corrosion. Car died at a traffic light the other day. All the dash lights came on put the car in park she started right up. Help! Possible K 40 relay problem. Thanks