Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

DAS ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Default DAS ?

I have a 2000 SLK 230 78,000 miles. Intermittent no start turn key nothing happens after cycling key switch 3 or 4 time she makes fire. Battery is new cables tight no corrosion. Possible DAS problem if so where us the unit located and how hard is it to replace? Thanks

Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Default RE: DAS ?

Somebody had this same problem on this site about 1 week ago.
Problem was due to ignition switch.
Stuart

Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 AM

Hi Stuart !!
How are you? I have a question that has nothing to do with the DAS, if you don't mind... Last week-end I was trying to help my uncle replacing one of the cluster light bulbs in his 95 C280. I was trying to pull the cluster housing out, using the "home made" hook to pull on both side of the unit. I slip and accidentally...crack the clear plastic cover...OOps!! and my nucle mad as hell. Do you know a place or some one who know of such place that sells just this piece and not the whole housing unit (that will cost me approx. $300 USD at the dealer). Thanks.

Best regards.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 AM

Oops,
Suggest you look on eBay for a complete cluster. These seem to go for about £25.

I don't think you will be able to get any parts for the assembly separately.

Stuart

Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 AM

Thanks Stuart !!..I'll look for it on Ebay......

Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 AM

http://www.mbpartsonline.com/recycled.html

did you try MB for a price??

Also a lesson learnt DONT help other people IF they dont understand the risk

One other thing.. best to start a new posting for when you change the topic. More people can get involved.

Bazzle

Old 09-06-2006, 06:44 PM

Alright !! Bazzle

Anyway, I was able to find one at the local junk-yards and paid $175USD for the complete unit. I swap the clear cover (very good, clean...way better than the cracked one) and replaced all the the main light bulbs.....to be sure, then re-installed it back into my uncle's car. Everything okay, now. He's quite happy. My Uncle is a very cool guy..and we are more of a buddy than nephew/uncle....hehehe. So it's ok with me....

ps: If any one need a C280 cluster unit minus the (small crack approx. 2 inches), please let me know.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:07 AM

Did you get the ignition switch problem fixed?

Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 AM

Hi Stuart,
My uncle C280 ignition stuck in the third position...it costs him $650 to fix [:-] at the local MB dealer.

My SLK320 has a dead battery of which I'd replaced...and everything else works fine.
But one problem. Approx. 1yr ago, there were this hissing noise came from the passenger leg area of my car, and SleepWalker directed me to the faulty unit ......the SWITCH-OVER valve, that opens and closes the flap that allow the outside air to enter the cabin, or not. I practically stick my face in that tight spot to confirm the source of that noise, and indeed it came from that unit . I replaced it with a new unit from the dealer ($30 USD), but as soon as I activate that REC button.....the stinking "hiss" came back. I have to toggle the AC switch to make it stop "pissing" me off, but only for a brief moment. So, I just left it there and disconnect the power source. Do you have any idea of what going? The noise drives me nut, but the exhaust from the car in front of me even worse....HELP !!

On the same thought: A few months after I purchased the car(new), the AC system in my car would turn-on (high) by itself and won't go off until I toggle the AC control back and forth a few times. The dealer said that they replaced the AC switch..???

Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM

.........and disconnect the power source? What exactly do you mean by this?

Sleepwalkers diagnosis seems spot on to me. When you operate Recirc it moves a flap to pull air from the passenger comparment rather than outside by the screen. This flap is usually operated by vacuum but without checking it could be electric. I've never ventured into the AC system on my MB. It has always worked perfectly!
If it is vacuum then it appears that you have a leak of air into the vacuum hosing somewhere in the region of the recirc valve, If indeed it is not the valve itself...However you have replaced the valve so it must be a leak.
is driven by vacuum you need to get a bit of garden hose pipe and use this as a stethescope in order to locate exactly where the hissing noise is coming from.
Shouldn't be too difficult but you will need to remove some of the dash underpanelling to get adequate access.
Let us know how you get on. Check any Tee joints. These sometimes fracture at the join and of course rubber hosing perishes.
Stuart

Quick Reply: DAS ?