Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Various concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Default Various concerns

I purchased my SLK320 manual(2003) over 18 months ago it had 10k miles. I have nothing but problems with it... to list just a few, i was wondering if this is normal of this model.

The car now has 32k miles

1)Drivers seat clicks when going from braking to accelerating.. it is as though the seat it is rocking slightly. I have taken it back to the MB dealership numerious time, but each time they can not find the fault.

2)ESP light comes on after i have had my front fog lights on for a long period of time then the bulb replacement light comes on to say i have a light out. It is though there is a power surge which blows the bulb?

3)With ref to item 2, the car has blown 4 front fog light bulbs in the last 18 months

4)Creaking noise when chassis is twisted over a bump

5)Also the exhaust sounds as though its starting to rattle... at certain RPM you can hear a baffle noise.

6)Clutch is very fearce on the car, it is very hard to drive smoothly... especially between first and second gear

7)Indicator stopped working. Went back to MB and they fitted new stalk and problem went away.

Are just some of these issues down to the SLK electrical problems which you read about?

Is anyone having similar issues and is there anything i can do to fix the problems..

Any feedback would be very much appreciated, as i am strongly thinking of getting rid of the car asthese small iritating problems just keep increasing. I do love the car and would like to keep it, but if these problems keep increasing and now the car is out of MB warranty, it could become very costly.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Various concerns

This vehicle sounds like it may have been in an accident and was poorly repaired. I sincerely hope not. Did you run a CARFAX report at the time of purchase?

If the vehicle is still under it's 50,000 mile/4 yr warranty, then bring it to a dealership and give them as much time as they need to work through your list. My 2001 has ZERO problems with 120,000 miles on it. So, I think you have a very unusual car. My roof creeks if I don't wipe the seal with Armor All or a similar product.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM

I am the first registered keeper of the car........... it was only owned by MB.... I was also thinking that it had been in an accident... the car is very clean and i have had it checked out... The main worry is all the electrical problems it keeps having.

thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 PM

I have an 01 230 with auto transmission and it has been an excellent car. My wife bought it new and the only repair we have had was a fuel gauge sensor. She just bought a new 06 280, and I hated to part with the 01 so much I sold my Subaru and bought the 01 from her. It has a MB warranty until March 08, but so far the extended warranty has been a waste of money. The car is fun to drive, and in many ways, I prefer it over the 06.

Sorry you are having a bad experience but wanted to let you know there are some happy MB owners.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 PM

I am wishing now i had invested in the extended warranty, but felt that i would not need that seeing as it was a mercedes and the reliabilty is second to none.... i previously had a Toyota MR2 for seven years from new... it never gave me any of the problems i am having with the MB...

I am hoping that once i get to the bottom of things all the problems will go away, ijust feel as though i am losing fail in the car.

Also what i was not happy with was the dealership which i bought the car from... i felt that due to this car being one of the cheapest in the garage they did not give me there full attention...

I like the car so much, its just really frustrating with all the little issues...

Old 09-15-2006, 01:39 PM

Sorry to hear about the various problems you are having with your car. If you really like your car, then just keep working through the issues. There is a cause for each one. It's not like trying to go to the moon. I have a 2001, SLK320 with 12k miles and no problems. My friend has a 2001, SLK320 with 32k, and has only a roof leak so far.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:08 PM

Just taken car into MB and both front fog lights had blown.... Anybody any idea why it would have blown both, plus the ESP light stayed on until the ignition was switched off and back on again....???

On a more posistive note, can anybody recommend a Sat Nav for this car as there is not one sold from MB dealership for this model due to space?

thanks,