Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Considering an SLK

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Cool Considering an SLK

My 96 SL 500 is getting a little long in the tooth and I was thinking of moving to a newer SLK. I would like a year that maybe has some successful upgrades, but am definitely going with a 350, or smaller engine. I'm getting longer in the tooth, but, I want a driver, not a queen.
Any suggestions of years? Certified, definitely want the automatic. Problem years, engines etc.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:30 PM

For reference I can tell you I drove a 98 SL500 for ten years, then last year I bought a 07 SL550. I have no regrets. Don't know anything about the SLK. But the 07 SL550 has a seven speed tranny, and a few more ponies which are noticeable. I think the weight is about the same, yet the fuel economy and handling in general is much better in the O7. I stick my foot in it fairly often and I still get better than 20 mpg. Open road is over 25 mpg. The rating is much lower than that. Don't know why.
From what I understand the Achilles heal for mine is the ABC system. So if it hasn't been maintained or is ready to blow, then get ready to dish out about $5k. Other than that, no regrets and look forward to driving it another ten years.
Happy motoring
Rich

Last edited by Rich_sl500; 02-23-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM

Thanks for your reply, maybe I just need to look at the next generation SL. I'm over both 6 ft and 70 and not quite ready to drive a LazyBoy. Anyproblems with the hardtop? Also a friend had one that the rear whined at 55, kinda my median speed (Florida). I would ask if the new model is a good value; but what SL is? I drove one a few years back and felt it was more clostrophobic inside (more bolster, console, less legroom, shoulder room etc. But I will look again. Thanx again. I can't get over 19.5 mpg on a tank. Just got new plugs, we'll see!!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM

Heya
No problems with the rear end whining at any speeds on my 07 SL550. Car is quiet and smooth as can be. If you are doing most of your driving 55ish in Florida, then you will prob be flabbergasted at your mpg. I drive at 73 on the freeways out here: At 55 you will prob average over 25 mpg. Unless you are starting and stopping every mile. No problems with the top, works like a champ so far. I am also 6' and find there is enough room. I think my 98 had a little more. Always surprised me that the magic Mercedes can work with engineering problems, yet miss the boat on some basic comfort, like the position of some things. I have never been in an SLK, but they don't look any roomier...hahaha.
The only problem I have had was a noise that turned out to be a dampener up by the dual power steering/ABC pump. There was some service bulletin, so the cost to me was zero. Otherwise I think that might have been close to a grand at the dealer. The front air dam likes to find parking bumps, but that's not unique. You can use the ABC to raise the car a couple inches with the push of a button and that solves most of it.
Have had the car one year to the day I think and put 20K on it. No regrets.
Go find an 07 or 08 with low miles for 28-30grand and take it for a nice long drive.
Rich

Attached Thumbnails Considering an SLK-sl550-.jpg