Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Bypass Operation on the Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Default Bypass Operation on the Oil Separator

I read where a fellow vented the oil Separartor to the atmosphere to eliminate the risk of MAF fouling. Anyone have any ideas about this modification and if there are any adverse risk potentials? I am thinking of also trying this since I have had to replace my MAF from oil contamination.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Default RE: Bypass Operation on the Oil Separator

Hi,
The question is why is the oil separator not working correctly / efficiently, if indeed it is the output from the separator that has fouled the MAF.

Mileage? Maybe piston blow by is excessive.

If you vent to atmosphere you will render part of the emission control system ineffective and you will likely not pass the annual smog test. In addition it may also impact idle tune adversely but this may be self correcting. I suggest that an additional oil separator / filter might be a better approach if the engine is beginning to fail and you wish to eek further mileage from it.

Sure the MAF was contaminated by oil?
Did CFC cleaner rectify.
Sure you used an OE Bosch sensor?
Non Bosch go out of range more quickly.

WRT the key battery are you sure the battery is dead. 128USD? I can't remember your figure for a MB battery. I think not!
Maybe for a new key/remote.
May need to resynch remote to vehicle after loss of memory. I'm sure there are a lot of posts about this on the Forum somewhere.
Stuart

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM

Stuart, Thanks for replying and your thoughts. Let me unpack this a bit more as it was explained by the fellow on the forum. The issue is not that the oil separator (topside unit) is NOT working, its that when the lower one in the crankcase CAN'T work due to plugged up ports in the intake manifold, it causes the two stage system to just be automatically shifted (by default) to the upper one, causing overwork on that unit and increasing the risk of sooner than normaloil build up,thereby increasing the risk of MAF contamination. Thinking about all this, it reminded me of the way pre-emission engines were ventedjust a downflow pipe from the crankcase to the atmosphere. Now, I know there are emission concerns with regard to the environment but I don't think 1 SLK is going to contribute to melt down of the polar icecaps significantly. I also know that there may be concerns with the emissions electronics setup on the carand that, as well as any other adverse performance issues,are my real concerns. Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 AM

....Quote:"that when the lower one in the crankcase CAN'T work due to plugged up ports in the intake manifold,...".

I don't understand the emboldened bit.

As a palliative I guess it will help since less potential oil (mist) will find its way into the inlet system. I suspect that emission setting will if impacted self adjust.

Stuart.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM

Stuart; "What we have here is a failure to communicate..."I'm not sure what you're not sure of? Do younot understand why the ports getting clogged, how hard it is to clean them out (nearly impossible to do so without dismantling the fuel rail/ intake set up on the engine), or that the primary vent system can't work if they are clogged, or why one would justunhook the upper separator rather thanfix the real problem?I think that it has been done for the latter...just to keep from going to all the trouble of cleaning out those brass ports inside the manifold when one can just unhook the separator. My question still remains... what possible adverse side effects could such a palliative short cut cause???I sure appreciate your thoughts/insights. Thanks, littleb

Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Nobody on here is goinmg to tell you to vent to atmosphere.
Fix the problem IF it exists.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=34036

Bazzle

Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 AM

Thanks Bazzle.

Why didn't I say that!!

If the holes in the manifold (apply suction) are blocked then they need to be cleaned. The question must be asked why they have become blocked...which presumably points to excessive blow by / engine needs rebuild.

The fact that these holes are effectively an intake system leak, blocking them off or alternatively leaving them open to atmosphere will alter tune / idle. As I have already stated this will likely self adjust due to the closed loop injection system.

Not sure there is anything further to add.

Stuart

Old 08-11-2008, 12:16 PM

REMEMBER THIS ONE THING. IT IS NOT JUST THE PORTS THAT GET CLOGGED. THE PORTS LEAD INTO A SMALL CHAMBER IN THE HEAD. THE CHAMBER HAS ACCESS TO THE INTAKE RUNNER VIA A SMALL SLIT IN THE SIDE FACING THE INTAKE RUNNER. THIS SLIT CAN GET CLOGGED AS WELL. THE ONLY TRUE WAS TO FIX THIS ISSUE IS TO R&R THE INTAKE MANIFOLD, CLEAN THE PORTS, CHAMBERS, AND SLITS, REPLACE PCV VALVE, REPLACE HOSES. REPLACE MAF AND FLUSH INTERCOOLER (IF OIL WAS PRESENT).