Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

bypass oil filter?

Old 12-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Default bypass oil filter?

Hello all, I did a search and could not find any mention of using a bypass oil filter system such as a Franz or Amsoil on these diesels. Has anyone found or experienced any information on using these such as where to tap off for supply and return? Thanks, Steve

Old 12-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Default RE: bypass oil filter?

You might consider installing between oil cooler, via cooler hoses, but you will need to visit someone who can customize pressure hose fittings. I wonder how much additional resistance the oil pump can handle putting in another obstacle to hurdle? Probably can handle it but add a little more tension to the pump chain....probably wont hurt...course there could be a slight loss of oil pressure....personnaly, I think the engine will out live you if you did nothing to alter.......save your wallet!

Old 12-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Default RE: bypass oil filter?

I understand the engine has a great life expectancy but from what I have read on Cummins websites these bypass filters can keep most soot and micron sized particles out of the oil which can only add to the long life expectancy, especially on critical parts such as timing chain, rings, valve guides, etc. The oil remains like new greatly increasing oil change frequency if the bypass filter, usually a "toilet paper roll" type setup, is changed as recommended. As for load on the oil pump, since it is bypass flow, there is very little change in differential pressure across the oil pump as only a minute amount of oil is filtered at a time. I just wondered if anyone was using one. Not sure if I will try it or not. I do love the car though, much different, in a better way, than anything I have owned before. Steve