Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

sticky buttons voids head unit warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Default sticky buttons voids head unit warranties

My 05 SL55 started having reading problems with the front dash CD player - you can hear the CD-ROM struggling to read/change tracks/load (would stall for over 30 secs at a time), so I took it in for warranty work covered under CPO. Initially my service advisor agreed that it sounds like an obvious CD reading problem and needs to be replaced but next day called me back to inform me that because the "next track" button was sticky there was evidence that some fluids may have spilled onto the buttons in the past. Because of this any warranty on the radio/nav/head unit region is all void, even though he agreed that the sticky button obviously has nothing to do with the mechanical reading ability of the CD-ROM which is several inches removed from this. The local dealership goes further to recommend a local audio shop that can just fix just the CD reading component without changing out the whole radio, which is now void.

If the local audio shop can fix the CD reader, why can't MB? When the next track button is immediately adjacent to the cup holder, isn't it expected that over 5 years, once or twice a few drops of cola may splash into the button in an area that can't be cleaned? Unless I stuck a straw into the disc loading area and BLEW cola onto the CD-spindle mechanism, the button being sticky has absolutely no bearing on the CD-reader.

Ridiculous service. Anyone else encounter problems like this? Called corporate who will "investigate" it and get back to me. I thought part of getting the official, more expensive MB warranty included hassle-free service, but have yet to experience this.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Hassle free service and dealership = oxymoron.

Good luck. Don't back down with MBUSA. Christ, I suppose the alleged spilling of sticky liquid voids the entire warranty.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks, I'm starting to learn this the hard way. Nothing has been done without fighting tooth and nail on every issue I've had.

3 days after I bought the CPO car, one of the computer control modules went out so warning lights started flashing and the front driver xenon light went out. Again, they claimed because it was related to "xenon stuff" it is automatically not covered even though the actual xenon related parts were all perfectly fine. It was just the control module that controlled the lights and it was expressly printed that CONTROL MODULES and computer components were covered. Fought long and hard but finally won this battle and saved $2500.

I will be getting a pro-rated refund on the CPO soon to just bank it and expect to pay out of pocket for anything else they can find an excuse to void.