Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Purchasing a used SL

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Default Purchasing a used SL

First I would like to say hello to all I have been lurking awhile and just recently registered here on your great forum.

I am about to purchase a used SL around 1985 to 1989. I want to spend between 10,000 to 19,000. I have checked a few local dealers and on-line traders and my price range seems about right. I was hoping to be able to get some insight from you all on what to look for. Of course I will have a trusted mechanic check out the car prior to purchasing it, but I'm so new to MB that I'm not even sure if there are any issues or problems with this model and year range. I have always owned German cars VW's, BMW's and now have 2000 Audi S4 that my wife is driving. I'm stuck with an old Ford Exploror for my work commute but want something a bit nicer. My Commute is only 10 miles each way and we live in warm weather climate. I'm not sure why I'm set on the SL I have always liked the looks, wanted a convertable and have always been impressed with older MB quality. With all that being said any opinions or suggestions regarding what year and type of SL I should be looking for would greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Vin

Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Purchasing a used SL

I'd look for an 89 560SL as this is the frosting on the entire 107 production run, most refined, and has all the bells and whistles!

For the money you should be able to find one in great shape and with low miles.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:40 PM

I bought a 1997 SL 500 two years ago. The only drastic expense I have had was when I had to replace both catalytic converters due to a rattling noise from the exhuast so its worth checking out that there are no exhuast rattles when you blip the throttle at tickover. I had a pair of genuine Merc ones and they cost about £1100.
Also look out for very small cracks on the softop back window at a point some 8 inches down from the top of the window. This is where the folding takes place when the hood is lowered and its a common problem especially if the hardtop is not used during the summer. I suspect the plastic or whatever it is hardens due to uv exposure.
Another common thing I have seen is rusting of the hard top at the rear lower sides just below where the rear window is. I have found that a small rust blister has grown steadily over two years and many older models have similar cosmetic rusting in this area. Its probably due to flexing when the hartop is locked in place by the electric mechanism.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 AM

I bought a 1988 560SL. Everything was in excellent condition however it had been sitting for a year. After one mechanic started replacing parts (to the tune of about $1200), I took it elsewhere. (I had a hard hot start problem). The second mechanic replaced the intake seals but it took him a lot of hours to undo what the other guy had done to the fuel injection system. $1800 later, I have a fine running car. The moral is: find a GOOD mechanic that you can trust! And...enjoy your car. It's aLMOST as much fun as my Harley.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:50 PM

I just purchased a 1998 SL600, and in my search I noticed a lot of SL500's from the mid to late 90's in the $14K - $22K range. I think that might be a better choice, going with a newer model with more features and lower miles. Use ebay as a reference. I called a seller on ebay and worked out a deal just before the end of the auction.

Greg