Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Hot/Warm Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 AM
Default Hot/Warm Starting Problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am based in the UK.
I've run a new-ish C200 for a few years but decided to buy an extra car - a 1992 SL300 24 valve for the summer.
I selected a car which was without documents, but which seemed extremely sound, was road tested over different roads, then viewed underneath on a ramp, and received an independent engineer's inspection. Mileage 112,000 and this looks about right on controls and carpets wear. Until '08 it had been for 14 years in one person's ownership. Bringing it home there was no reason to think that the car was anything but a good car, and when stopped there was no difficulty in restarting.
One piece of advice which now may seem more important was that the car should be started without touching the accelerator or it could flood.
For a fortnight, the car was used a little (200 miles) and gave no trouble. It restarted hot - no problem.
Then, one night I went about 10 miles. After an hour it would not restart, but next morning it started straightaway.
Having gotten the car home, again it would not at first restart, but this time I ignored advice and floored the throttle, spinning the engine with the starter. Gradually it fired up and eventually ran smoothly without misfire.
When the car was used again it stopped and completely refused to start. I didn't wait until next day when the car would be cold as the car would have been left in the street overnight. It was fetched in by a garage and serviced.
The car has been in for a 'B' service which includes plug change etc., but the problem is still there.
When this problem arose, I had filled the tank to check fuel consumption. I now can't check this by re-filling the tank but 1/4 tank has gone after 60 miles
Questions
Can in be that too much fuel is being delivered to the engine and by what means?
Can fuel flow into the engine after ignition has been switched off?
Labor in a Mercedes Garage in the UK is about $175 per hour, so this could influence how the matter should be approached.
Any suggestions or advice would be deeply appreciated. In the short time I've owned it, I've developed a great liking for this car, and only wish to get back on the road driving it.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 AM

check only the opposing pins for continuity on the four pin sensor on the thermostat housing on your water pump. 1 & 3 and 2 & 4, don't check a pin if next to the other only accross. If none on one test or both, replace and see what happens. I was was going through replacing everything with new parts and got a new sensor that was bad, caused very simular problems to yours. replaced with my old one and everything is fine. fuel can flow into your cylinders after you shut it off if your injectors are bad. This can cause starting problems.

Last edited by brookings; 05-01-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Default Hot Start Problem

Many thanks, brookings, I'll get testing. Apart from this, I'm absolutely delighted with the car and only wish to resolve the problem.
Emeritus