Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Convertible Top Warning Chime Won't Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Default Convertible Top Warning Chime Won't Stop

I have a 1993 600 SL and when I raise the top and begin to drive, theswitch remains red and a warning chimes continuously. The top seems to be securely locked in position, but the chime won't stop. It'sfine with the top down, but when I put on the hard top it did the same thing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick Hoevenaars

Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Convertible Top Warning Chime Won't Stop

have u tried to lock the top down manually? follow instruction manual. unlock and relock one at a time. u should feel a click of sorts.thefront will sound different than the rear. if they are not locked down properly u will getthat awful hard to ignorewarning. if they are locked, then it could be a sensor. does the top cover feel securely locked, it can sometime not lock properly and you can do it manually too. it should be tightwhen you push down on each side, no play. however it seems to be fine when the top is down. do u have any hydraulicfluid leaking anywhere by chance? there are some simple things u can do, however DO NOT let anyone work on it but a good mercedes shop. ask around forwho's good.those systemsrequire the proper testing equipment. they are beautiful in function, but complicated.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I was able to lock it down with the manual tool but now I'm wondering why it's happening and how to fix it. The top seems to be locked in place but ittakes just a very small turnwith the manual tool on the two front pinsto click it in place and stopthechime. I'm putting itaway for the winter and will have it looked at by the dealer in the spring.

Thanks again, Rick

Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 AM

I would guess that the hydraulic cylinders for the front locks are weak and need to be replaced. They are about $125 each and can be are easily replaced.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: rhoevenaars

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I was able to lock it down with the manual tool but now I'm wondering why it's happening and how to fix it. The top seems to be locked in place but ittakes just a very small turnwith the manual tool on the two front pinsto click it in place and stopthechime. I'm putting itaway for the winter and will have it looked at by the dealer in the spring.

Thanks again, Rick
Rick,
As Bob Terry suggests, if the front cylinders are weak and need replacing, for the past couple years many of us are using a cylinder rebuilder instead of making MB richer. Contact info below...

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062
(913) 544-4521
mercedescylinders@sbcglobal.net

Charges: $30@ + $15 total shipping(USPS Priority Insured) cost. Ex., Repair both front cylinders is 2 x $30 + $15 = $75

Also, Dennis' warranty is 3yrs. vs. MB's 1 yr.He also recommends doingcylinder rebuilds inpairs, meaning if one side is known weak,it's mate is soon to follow.

When Bob Terry says'easily replaced', with the instructions/pictures at this link, he's absolutely right!
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/R129TopRelease

Last, if you have to replenish the hydraulic fluid, we've found that Febi/Bilstein P/N 02615 Hydraulic Fluid is identical to the MB branded version at 1/2 the cost. Good luck and have fun with this-

Bob

Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 AM

Thanks for your advice guys, you've been most helpful.

Have a great one!

Rick