Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Chrome Rings and Radio Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Default Chrome Rings and Radio Code

I just installed some chrome rings around the guages of my 1997 SL320 and they sure do look spiffy. The rings were added to the guages by mercedes beginning in 1999. I bought them off ebay. If anyone wants the instructions on how to take the guage cluster apart, just reply to the post and when I see they reply, I'll send pictures.

Part of the cluster removal requires removing the ground cable from the battery thus resetting the radio and windows. I was able to take care of my windows just fine but I found out that I don't know my radio code. I have the vehicle card with all the car information but I can't find the code on it. It seems to be missing a lot of the numbers that should be on it. If anyone konws where on that card the code is, please let me know. If a VIN will help, here it is: WDB1290631F153534.

Finally, disconnecting the battery seems to have upset my rollbar. It works just fine but the light on the button flashes whenever it is down. Does this thing need to be reset like the windows? I found no mention of it in the manual.

Thanks,
Hank
________
Pregnant mexican

Last edited by parrotheadfl; 04-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Default RE: Chrome Rings and Radio Code

Hi Hank,

The dealer will usually give you the radio code over the phone. Just call them and give them your VIN and you should have no trouble getting one.

Is the battery in your car in "Good" condition ? and has it been tested recently so that you know it's good ?

Many times a battery can appear good (ie because the car will start) but still cannot hold up to a load. Make sure the battery is "positively" Good before doing anything.

What the flashing light means when the rollbar is down, is that it's a warning indication that is telling you the automatic deployment system will not deploy automatically so raise the rollbar. That's why they go out when it's up ('cause it won't need to deploy as it's already up).

Might try to put the rollbar, windows, and top in the down position and disconnect the battery again for a little while to see if it goes away. That used to work on the older models.

If that doesn't work, you will problably have to have the codes reset by the <"gulp"> dare I say..... Steal... oops, I mean Dealer...

There is another way to do it by jumping accross a couple of pins on the diagnostic connetor with an LED and a resister, but not knowing your level of experience/expertise we won't go there for now.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
TJ

Old 07-27-2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks TJ. The dealer had my code for the radio. The flashing light on the rollbar switch was caused by a dead dashboard warning light.

For the record, when the dashboard warning light for the rollbar is burnt out, the rollbar switch blinks while the bar is down. A coat hanger can be bent into a tool very similar to what Mercedes uses to remove the gauge cluster and can be used to safely remove the cluster. The warning lights can be replaced without unpluging the cluster.

Hank
________
LuxuryStarXXX

Last edited by parrotheadfl; 04-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM

I need to change the lights behind my instrument cluster, I also have a set of chrome rings to install. Can I do them both at once and can you tell me how to get at them.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Moogah,
The entire instrument cluster comes out so you can do both jobs at once. Use the a coat hanger to make the tool to remove the cluster by creating a hook at one end that is about 1/4 inch long. You will need two, one for each side. Slip the hook beside the instrument cluster then rotate the hook so that it is pointing toward the cluster. Pull each side out a little at a time. Make sure and disconnect the ground first. The rings and bulbs are simple and self explanatory. Then just push the cluster back in place. Good luck!
________
Vaporite replacement parts

Last edited by parrotheadfl; 04-23-2011 at 09:45 PM.