Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

450sel 1980 engine stops randomly

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Default 450sel 1980 engine stops randomly

hello, my engine stops without warning. it runs strong until it abuptly quits. it always starts great when cold, but sometimes won't restart when turned off hot, then spins like there is no gas or fire.i have to wait about 4 minutes, and then it will restart and run just fine. this might happen daily or once a week.the electricswork, as i have to engage the flashers. i replaced fuel filter and it seemed to improve. the fuel pump was replaced approx. 10k ago. that was done because it died completely. put a fresh fuse in the#4 slot, thinking the fuel shut off relay was getting no volts - no change. had to move the battery neg cable to the alternator bracket, because the body connection by the front rt. head lamp had snapped off at the nut. any help greatly appreciated - i only have a Haynes man. which has no wire diagram for my car. thanks, pat

Old 09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Default RE: 450sel 1980 engine stops randomly

I had a similar problem with a 450SEL several years ago. It would just die suddenly and then restart OK after sitting for 5-10 minutes. I was never stranded but sure was disconcerting. What I finally happened across was that bypassing the ignition coil resistor would solve the problem(and allow the car to start again immediately). This is the resistor that is bypassed when starting but is in the circuit once you let let the key off the start position. I just jumperedacross the resistor and ran the coil at full voltage. I never did understand exactly what was happening butI don't think I ever replaced the resistor or ignition coil. It had all appearance of the resistor opening up when it got hot and then remaking internal contact when it cooled off. But I could not make it do that while testing it. Maybe the coil ran a little hot after this but the stalling did not happen again with this configuration running the coil at the full 12 volts.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Default RE: 450sel 1980 engine stops randomly

hello ndbarker, thanks for the reply. i put a time light on the coil wire when the engine quit. had full spark; indicating that the plugs where getting volts. the plugs are perfect brown. what concerns me now is that the o2 sensor is nubbed off at the manifold. the dash cluster shows an o2 sensor, but the only one i find has no wire going to it. i don't know how the fuel system works without an o2 sensor. the fuel regulator is buzzing like it's getting input from a sensor, but the buzz is steady, until the engine stops. guess i will post a separate on the o2 see what happens == tanksagin, pat