Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

OIL FILTER AND OIL DRAIN?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Default OIL FILTER AND OIL DRAIN?

Hey guys,

Man, I got everything ready, jack stands, oil filter, oil drain pan andoil and couldn't find the oil filter and not even the oil drain! I called mercedes and they didn't even know where the oil filter was! The lady kept me on hold and one guy said it's under the engine. One guy said it's at the front LH under the hood. The lady said they build them this way so you can only do it at the dealer! This was very frustrating. Long story short I had to jack down the car and pack everything up. Anybody know for sure where these two are located. This is a 95' S320. I would guess it would be the same on all W140's. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Default RE: OIL FILTER AND OIL DRAIN?

Hi,
Unfortunately I can't attach a pic.
However to gain access to the drain plug you have to remove shielding under the engine from below. This shielding, panelling or whatever you may wish to call it is held in place with about 8 screws (hex), The drain is located on the sump pan as you would expect.
The oil filter is located just forward of the LH (when sat in the car) camshaft cover and is usually black with a very big hex formed into it. This requires a special, but universal socket to avoid dfamage.
To see the filter you MAY have to remove the cover from the top of the engine. (big plastic thing) Just pull it up sharply. No screws just a rubber grommet type fixing.

You need to read this forum regarding type of filter to use and especially oil type. My recommendation (MB) is to use a proper MB filter and Mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthethic.

Stuart.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Default Re: Oil filter and oil drain?

Hey thanks man,

You seem very informed! Is the filter at the back LH( I assume you mean Left Hand) next to the firewall? What tool is required to remove it. I saw a round black cover at the back next to the firewall and I think this must be what you are talking about. And yes i got mobil 1 0w 40 synthetic oil. The filter is Fram CH 6848. I will really really appreciate that. I'm sure I will find the oil drain. Thanks.

Last edited by andygroove; 06-29-2012 at 09:29 AM.