Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

New to us 1990 300SE seat repair and two other ? inside..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Default New to us 1990 300SE seat repair and two other ? inside..

Hello folks. This is my first post. We just bought my Dad a really nice example of a 1990 MB 300SE. The tag is still on the replacement motor under the hood with a date of 5/04. The transmission was rebuilt 55K miles ago. While the odometer reads 209,000 miles the car looks just about brand new. I used to do bodywork when I was young. I went to see this car being a little (or a lot) concerned. I was not happy that the original service books were not with the car. But after looking at the car and a test drive we bought it. I am embarassed to say we only paid $2,000 for the car. I am confident that it will appraise for much more. I want it appraised so if someone hits it "lightly" it will not be a total loss. Especially since we will be repairing the driver's leather seat, and the top of the rear bumper to make it honestly in very near mint condition. We hope to be able to recover the money we will have in it and to help us find another nice one should someone hit my Dad when he is driving it. Here are my 3 questions;

1) The only rust on this car is the slight bubbling of the top chrome section of the rear bumper. Can this part be ordered separately or must we scrounge a new or used bumper? This car spent its life in a indoor garage until we just bought it. I am coughing up a lung and ordering the best car cover at almost $400. Next winter it will be stored in our garage once again.

2) The interior is very near mint with no wear on the leather except the drivers side leather seat bolster area is ripped. Can a shop just replace the one leather seat cover? The rest of the interior is in really beautiful shape. The dash has no cracks, headliner is perfect and the carpets look great. The second thing the original owner's Son did was to remove the standard radio and cassette player. In the dash is a plain CD/FM stereo. Down the road this too will be upgraded by a good shop.

3) The downside is the car was given to the original owner's Son. He managed to lose the books and service records that came with the car. The mechanic who checked the car over says it needs two ball joints, tie rod end. The motor mounts need to be replaced with a full tune up. The total work needed is just under $1K from a good shop. Is there a source for replacement books and service manuals like what originally came with the car? I have learned enough that to avoid painful bills one must be fanatical about doing periodic maintenance on MB cars. I know about the filter for the a/c, brake fluid flushed every spring. Yearly transmission oil and filters replacement, twice annual lubing of critical parts and more. But the set of MB books would be a very nice reference source to have.

I drive a fun 12 second mustang. I must say I am impressed enough with this car to think of selling my mustang to buy one of these cars for myself. We really like the design, especially the front nose on these cars. I told my friend that I wanted to buy a MB 560SL roadster for my Dad some day. I explained that these types of classic cars hold onto more of their value if properly maintained making them a better buy than a new car every four years over the long haul. He bought a 560SL and has owned it for a few years. After seeing his car I am confident that our MB 300SE is in much better physical and mechanical condition than his car. That is why I want a good appraisal done ASAP to submit to our insurance agent. Thanks for reading this.. John C. - Framingham, MA

We hope to have this 1990 appraised in a few weeks. It looks like it came off the showroom floor. The doors are all tight and thunk closed tightly. The trunk has no rust, nor could I find any around the doors, under carpets, below rear window moulding. All options including the A/C compressor work fine. Even the cruise and clock work OK. The car drives very nicely. It was maintained with an open checkbook by the original owner. I will help my Dad set up a annual maintenence program for this car ASAP.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New to us 1990 300SE seat repair and two other ? inside..

[/quote]
top chrome section of the rear bumper
can order separately.

seat cover
it can be removed for replacement or repair.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Default RE: New to us 1990 300SE seat repair and two other ? inside..

The garage we just used sent us to a man that they use for work on their own cars. To replace the panel on the drivers seat and replace the top of the leather arm rest is just under $300. I have set up the appointment for next week. I like the idea of not using sheepskin seat covers for now. I have a excellent leather conditioner that we use on our sofas. This leather cleaner removed the aligator affect on one section of the couch that was neglected by the previous owner. The leather looks just about new now and is much softer and more pliable. I will be using this on the leather seats in the car ASAP. John