Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2004 S500 4matic Grinding/Vibration on Turning Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Default 2004 S500 4matic Grinding/Vibration on Turning Steering Wheel

I have a 2004 S500 4matic. In the last two weeks I have noticed that whenever I put the car in reverse for example as to pull out of a parking spot, there is some vibration/grinding noise that comes from either the tire or somewhere underneath the car. I do not hear or feel this vibration when I am driving straight. Even when taking a left turn at a stop light at a low speed I feel the vibration in the car, wheels, and and steering wheel. This only occurs if the steering wheel is turned a lot, not if I change lanes.

The only thing thats been done to the car is that 2 weeks ago I got new tires on the rear and the tires on the front have about 50 % tread left. This all started after getting the 50% tread tires put on the front (they were off a set of rims I had laying in the garage, proper size and all). Possible mounting problem? bearings?

Any ideas?

-Sulman

Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Default RE: 2004 S500 4matic Grinding/Vibration on Turning Steering Wheel

You've DOUBLE checked tyre size? Fronts the same as the back? OE size? We are talking standard wheels are we?
Lugnuts (bolts) tight?

Ride height OK. Distance from top of tyre to wheelarch?

Try pressing the "Wade" button on the dash to increase the ride height. Does this "cure" the problem at low speed / corners?

Mudflaps catching ?

Unlikely bearings.

Brakes/ When were these last changed / inspected?

DStuart

Old 05-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Post 4 matic, vibration on tight turn when parking

Hi Sulman and/or DStuart,

I have 2006 C280 4matic and I am experiencing the same problem as Sulman did. After I replaced the 4 tires with new about a week ago I notice that whenever I put the car in reverse for example as to pull out of a parking spot, there is some vibration/grinding noise that comes from somewhere in front of the car. I do not hear or feel this vibration when I am driving straight. Even when taking a left turn at a stop light at a low speed I feel the vibration in the car, wheels, and and steering wheel. This only occurs if the steering wheel is turned a lot, not if I change lanes. And the vibration exists ONLY when the car is cold. When it warms up after a coupe minutes of driving the vibration disappears.
I am not sure if it has anything to do with changed tires.... just asking what the problem could be. Someone has told me that I may have antifreeze mixing with the the automatic transmission oil ..... is that possible?
I would appreciate your or anyone's advise.

Nick

Old 05-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by yankovy
Hi Sulman and/or DStuart,

I have 2006 C280 4matic and I am experiencing the same problem as Sulman did. After I replaced the 4 tires with new about a week ago I notice that whenever I put the car in reverse for example as to pull out of a parking spot, there is some vibration/grinding noise that comes from somewhere in front of the car. I do not hear or feel this vibration when I am driving straight. Even when taking a left turn at a stop light at a low speed I feel the vibration in the car, wheels, and and steering wheel. This only occurs if the steering wheel is turned a lot, not if I change lanes. And the vibration exists ONLY when the car is cold. When it warms up after a coupe minutes of driving the vibration disappears.
I am not sure if it has anything to do with changed tires.... just asking what the problem could be. Someone has told me that I may have antifreeze mixing with the the automatic transmission oil ..... is that possible?
I would appreciate your or anyone's advise.

Nick
It could be the transfer case for the 4matic. this was an issue a few years back. usually changing the transfer case oil will correct the problem. mostly happens when the steering wheel is turned to full lock and moving forward or backward. sometimes the chattering will go away when it warms up. Could also be tires rubbing something,or the rotor backing plate rubbing the rotor.