Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4Matic grinding / growl

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Default 4Matic grinding / growl

I've got a 2004 E320 4Matic that has started to make a grinding (sometimes clanking) sound while turning sharp at very low speeds and ESPECIALLY while backing up. It's been getting more noticeable over the last couple thousand miles (it has 110,000+ miles) and I've noticed a vibration while going down the highway about 75MPH. It's never had new struts/shocks installed, but I did have the tires spin balanced to rule them out.
I just had it on the lift and found the CV boots looking pretty good without any noticeable movement to indicate a bad joint.
We found some minor slop in the short driveshaft from tranny to transrer case(slipjoint shaft) and wondering if that is the source of the problem.
All in all there are no leaks in trans, or rear transaxle and boots look good. I'm starting to wonder if the central transfer casebehind transmission could be a problem. Do you know of this type of problem being commonplace with this car? What to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill

Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Default RE: 4Matic grinding / growl

Billyrita,
Got the same thing starting to evolve in my '04 E-320 4-matic at 55k. Rumbles a bit when at slow speed full wheel turning such as when pulling into a parking space. No problems with the cv's and the tires are fine...my mechanic thinks the issue is the fluid in the transfer case is not allowing the multi-viscous discs slip properly and that it should be changed. Not that expensive a fix and I will let you know my results. Regards, Bob.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Bob Man,
I'm liking your response. I'm thinking you're onto something here and I'm going to pursue it since it's best to start simple and work your way up (I sometimes jump to complex right away).
I haven't had much luck with the dealer regarding a service campaign to install a new transfer case - no charge - regardless of warranty or miles. You may want to have the dealer look up your vin and see if you're in that category of transfer case serial numbers that qualify. I'm told it's mainly for 2005-06 models, but you never know.
Now I need to know what type of oil I use for the Mercedes transfer case and can I simply get it at the local parts house. Any idea?
Thanks so much for your response. It sounds simple enough to be the problem! Thank you thank you!
Bill

Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 AM

What type of fluid/oil do I use in the transfer case?
Thanks!
2004 E320 4matic wagon

Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Hope you got my reply in regards to transfer case fluid. As always, MB uses a special fluid that is $16/qt and anything else can cause serious problems. It is a cheap price to pay for the fix. Mine is going in this Thursday. Will keep you posted. Regards, Bob.