Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2000 S500 Intermittent AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Default 2000 S500 Intermittent AC

Hi,

I have had this problem since I bought the car in 2000. It used to only happen once or twice a year, and I could never replicate it for the dealer. Unfortunately, now it is happening once or twice a week. Upon starting the car, it appears from the displays that everything is working properly, but no air is coming out of the vents. The next day, everything will work fine, but a few days later the same problem. I noticed that it used to happen on particularly hot days, now it doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas what the issue might be? I'd really appreciate any ideas to pursue. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM

do you mean that no matter what fan speed you set, it just doesnt blow air at all? is it in AUTO mode? when the system is properly working can you adjust the blower speed and hear and feel fan speed difference? if your in AUTO mode and you start the car, and if its cold outside, the blower will not start blowing air until the engine builds up heat.need more detailon the problem. you could just have a bad blower regulator.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Default More details

Originally Posted by chassis221
do you mean that no matter what fan speed you set, it just doesnt blow air at all? is it in AUTO mode? when the system is properly working can you adjust the blower speed and hear and feel fan speed difference? if your in AUTO mode and you start the car, and if its cold outside, the blower will not start blowing air until the engine builds up heat.need more detailon the problem. you could just have a bad blower regulator.
Yes, it doesn't blow at all, regardless of speed or temperature setting. The bars indicate that is it blowing Max, but there is no fan action. I live in SoCal and always keep it in AUTO mode, but have tried to override it manually when this occurs. Thanks for asking for more details, it's much appreciated.

Paul

Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM

you might want to check on recalls for the blower motor and harness. back in 2000 or so there was a recall for an updated wire harness and fuse for the blower motor.
also the blower could be seized up from water getting into the blower motor. very very common problem on S class, make sure you water drain cowl is clear of debris. the drain on the passenger side at the fire wall. youll see a grill and look down in there and make sure the drain is not blocked up with dirt and debris. if it does block up, water will flow into the car via the blower motor housing and your interior will get soaked and youll have many more issues.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 PM

did you ever find out what the problem was? i am/was having the same issue and now it won't turn on at all. my multi function sensor was bad but i replaced it and it is working now. i have no error codes on the climate control but still no fan. i pulled my blower motor out and tested it separately and it works fine. also tested regulator and that works fine too. i am clueless. any suggestions?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by thomasmaio
did you ever find out what the problem was? i am/was having the same issue and now it won't turn on at all. my multi function sensor was bad but i replaced it and it is working now. i have no error codes on the climate control but still no fan. i pulled my blower motor out and tested it separately and it works fine. also tested regulator and that works fine too. i am clueless. any suggestions?
Hi, yes I was able to get it working. But, I ended up replacing the blower motor and the regulator. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM

thanks for the quick reply...

Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Yes my regulator was bad. It was replaced at a shop while my car was in there getting front end work which was under warranty.