Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Talking 1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5

Hi everyone,

My name is Gabrielle and I am now a Mercedes owner.
I went into this not knowing much about Mercedes and knowing nothing about owning an old Mercedes.

improvements thus far:

Oil Change
Fixed power windows
replaced front shocks
replaced battery

The AC doesn't blow cold air and the radio does not work, any ideas?

Thank you,

nice to meet you all!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Let me start by saying I was only 1 when this car was built. What a great car! Has anyone checked the freon level? Been convirted to 134a? This system would seem to leak out about a pound a year of r12. 134a was worse. You need to have it checked out. Many A/C places will check it out for free or charge it with dye for you.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 AM

hi ,

New owner, on an old mb 1972 280SE awesome! I just want to share some tips for you on ure 280se

my advice..is

1. check on the brake calipers for leaks or hardening rubber pistons

2.check and see with a torch light if there is any leakage on the valve cover gasket

3.check and see power steering hoses any cracks or leak -do replace em asap

4. Power sterring pump/ Box check if they make noises or oil leakages

5. rubber bushing undercarriage like, arm bushes etc..if there are cracks on it do replace them.

6. clean up your throttel body it could have carbon deposites inside it. Clean throttel helps to combust on your fuel better.

7. Fuel Filter - replace with new one / we dont know what could clogs inside it may contain dirt, etc etc from the fuel tanks/petrol station also check when is the last time they replace the fuel pump?

-tip " dont leave you fuel tank less than a quater- you dont want to suck all the dirty fuel which could stall ure engine while driving causing fuel pump permernant damage" this happen to many people

8. Transmission, if it a manual do service the manual transmission. GL-4 or GL5 type of gear oil.

9.Cooling system- Radiator, check if there's any leakage? Radiator hoses try squeez them if it hardening, please replace asap.(please check these when the engine is cold)

-tip, check

10. Water Themostat & Water pump - if i were you i would replace them - god know how long it has been there.-avoid over heating.

11. Replace radiator cap

12. Check if the spark plugs are good, if the tip is bent or the ceramic is having a rusty color .replace them because it there could be a current electric leak.

13. Cable plugs, rotor fin & rotor cap if it's worn out replace them.

14. Brake master cylinder, check if there's any leakage under it, an ageing car is prone to these wear and tear.

15. service / check your engine starter for the carbon brush if it is worn out repair them.

16. Clutch Slave cylinder- replace them if there is any signs of brake fulid leakage on it (it's located on the manual transmisson)

17. wiper blades- if it is hardening please replace them or you will scatch you front windscreen.

18. shock absorbers replaced? front and rear? - do check for alignment tyers & tyer chambers at the tire shop.

- that's all i can think of good luck, hope it works well with you

rockerfella174
Brunei

Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Default thank you

Originally Posted by bearsbusa
Let me start by saying I was only 1 when this car was built. What a great car! Has anyone checked the freon level? Been convirted to 134a? This system would seem to leak out about a pound a year of r12. 134a was worse. You need to have it checked out. Many A/C places will check it out for free or charge it with dye for you.
your reply was very informative and helpful, even though this is a little bit foreign to me.

It has been to two separate MB certified mechanics but eventually i would like to do the work myself. Being a girl is difficult when using some mechanics because they usually assume I know jack, in this case they are right but I hope to be more informed soon! Thank you very much I will get all of these things checked. I was told I need a new steering dampener - do you know around how much this would cost me?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM

well you can try replacing with an after market ones.... im sure the MB cert Mechanics can find them for you .. or you can order to mb dealers near by you. or search on the web im sure u will stumble into them.

ask for advice before purchasing them

good luck!!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:11 PM

where can i find a book on the 72 280 sel with the 145 chassis..thanks