Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Rear view mirror is cloudy, replace or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Default Rear view mirror is cloudy, replace or repair?

I have a 98 ML320. The interior rear view mirror is "cloudy" or has leaked. Is it possible to get just that part repaired? Or, do I have to replace the whole mirror? I would appreciate any advice! Thank you.

Mindy

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Yes, it is possible to have it fixed for about $80 by company called Sybesma's Electronics. You have to fill out Mirror Replacement Request form and send them pictures of your mirror mount. They will send out replacement for you and you have to return your bad untempered original mirror as a core within 30 days.
It is better than paying $150 for used one on e-bay, since it comes with warranty.
What I did, I bought the same Donnelly 011530 out of Grand Prix GT for $30 (97-01 I believe, same mirror in Acuras, Jaguars and Land Rovers with similar years of mfg.) and installed my old windshield bracket arm. But you can use any auto dimming mirror that you can find on your local junkyard (Cadillac and Chrysler made by Gentex will last much longer and that is why Donnelly is out of business now). The electric pinout for power is standard (same, first pin from left is + and second - on all of them) slight difference from pin to pin distances but Mercedes connector could be pushed on with very little force.
I tryid few ($10 to $20) nice mirrors but I was bothered to see the compass in the upper right corner of mirror from GM and light sensor in the center of mirror out of Chrysler LHS.
What you could do is glue small (quarter size) mirror mount right next to original on your front windshield and hang the whole mirror with arm without much work. Replacement mirror will nicely cover your original mirror mount and you will not see that it is even there.
Good luck, Bernard

Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Default Rear View Mirror Is Cloudy

I am so sorry it has taken this long to thank you, Bernard. I really appreciate the time you took to really explain all the options. I had to read it over several times, just to make sure I understand the details. My son is studying to be a mechanic so I am going to show him the letter and hopefully get some help.

Again, many thanks!

Mindy

Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM

You're welcome, I can post few pictures of GM mirror installed in my ML, if you wish. Bernard