Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Rear control arm upper or wishbone and front tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:25 AM
Default Rear control arm upper or wishbone and front tie rod ends

Hi there. w163 Ml 320 2002 manufactured in July of 2001

Anyone kind enough to provide me with a schematic or picture of the rear wheel assembly and front wheel assembly with torque spec would be greatly appreciated.
And any useful tips on how best to ....... even further appreciated
Problem
1. It would appear that upon jacking the rear wheels and grabbing the tire at 12 o' clock position and pushing forward there is play in the upper wishbone in the rear nothing on the 3 and 9 position also no play with crow bar under the rear tire and pushing down on the crowbar in the ball joints.-- so I have to replace the upper wishbone I guess

2. In the front grabbing at 3 and 9 position play in the tie rod ends -- so I guess replace the front tie rod ends
(and nothing at 12 and 6 or crow bar under the tire a pushing down on the crow bar
no play)

To ADD: my discovery of the above was I received a complaint from the driver that at different speeds there would on an occasion be a vibration -- given the above is that a possible cause

Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by smith007
Hi there. w163 Ml 320 2002 manufactured in July of 2001

Anyone kind enough to provide me with a schematic or picture of the rear wheel assembly and front wheel assembly with torque spec would be greatly appreciated.
And any useful tips on how best to ....... even further appreciated
Problem
1. It would appear that upon jacking the rear wheels and grabbing the tire at 12 o' clock position and pushing forward there is play in the upper wishbone in the rear nothing on the 3 and 9 position also no play with crow bar under the rear tire and pushing down on the crowbar in the ball joints.-- so I have to replace the upper wishbone I guess

2. In the front grabbing at 3 and 9 position play in the tie rod ends -- so I guess replace the front tie rod ends
(and nothing at 12 and 6 or crow bar under the tire a pushing down on the crow bar
no play)

To ADD: my discovery of the above was I received a complaint from the driver that at different speeds there would on an occasion be a vibration -- given the above is that a possible cause

Just a heads up, the front outer tie rods are probably seized. And the inner tie rods probably need replacement too.