Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

My dealer says front outter tie rod end boots cracked.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Question My dealer says front outter tie rod end boots cracked.

Hi, all. I have 2001 ML320 which I am planning to keep as it is paid off.

According to the service manager, it has to do with power steering and the oil will not stay making the handling harsh. Now I feel it as I really have to steer when I am about to turn into parking space at 2-5mph. When I speed up, no problem. I understand that it has to be fixed but is this immediate problem?

Also due to the age of the car, enging and trans mounts is collapsed, he says. I am under tight budget so I don't think I can afford to pay for both at the same time especially at the dealer.

My question is, which one should I fix first? Do I have to fix both right away? Also could those problem be fixed at local mechanic or must these be handled by dealer?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by todesto
Hi, all. I have 2001 ML320 which I am planning to keep as it is paid off.

According to the service manager, it has to do with power steering and the oil will not stay making the handling harsh. Now I feel it as I really have to steer when I am about to turn into parking space at 2-5mph. When I speed up, no problem. I understand that it has to be fixed but is this immediate problem?

Also due to the age of the car, enging and trans mounts is collapsed, he says. I am under tight budget so I don't think I can afford to pay for both at the same time especially at the dealer.

My question is, which one should I fix first? Do I have to fix both right away? Also could those problem be fixed at local mechanic or must these be handled by dealer?
right,,steering system first to avoid accidents. Keep on top of wheel alignment and tire wear. Many common steering problems are traceable to misaligned front tie rod end.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-30-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM

I just fixed my front tie rods control arms ect it cost over a grand the car now drives like new try to find a shop who works on benzes to avoid the expensive cost