Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML320 clearing svc miles = idiot dash lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Default ML320 clearing svc miles = idiot dash lights?

Hi..New to the forum.
I have a 1999 ML320 with about 190,000 miles.. runs great. I found another site that explained how to clear/reset the service miles warning (outlined below). I followed the steps exactly.. but it did not work.. instead the miles display showed a [ 16 2 ]. Then returned to normal, still showing the service miles. I gave up.. and when I started the car... the following idiot lights came on and stayed on.. 1. BAS/ESP 2. ETS 3. ABS and 4. Ck Engine.
I tried the procedure again, just to see if something would reset.. no luck.

And to verify, the ABS and ESP were not working (when lights were on).

Has this happened to anyone trying to reset their service reminder? If so.. any solutions?

I am mechanically inclined, so I'm not afraid to get in there.

I have checked all fuses.. they are all fine.

Help!

(procedure followed to attempt service reset

1. Turn ignition key to Pos 2
2. press reset button twice within 4 seconds
3. turn iginition key back to pos 1
4. press and hold the reset button
5. turn key back to pos 2
6. keep pressing the reset button until a buzzer sounds and new miles display appears

Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: ML320 clearing svc miles = idiot dash lights?

Sorry to hear but the procedure is correct, I just did mine on same car with 150K miles few days ago following same steps as you with no problem. I have no clue on those warning lights. I'm sure someone here with more knowlidge then I have will help you out with that.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 AM

Its strange because the 320 was running perfectly.. never had a light or problem. All I tried to do was reset the service reminder (without driving or starting the car). After trying several times to reset and giving up... I started it up and lots of warning lights! Seems to be something electrical somewhere.. wondering if a fuse removal, or exchange may solve the prob.

Anyone know of a good code reader!

Also in need of a repair manual!

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 AM

Update.. I found a similar procedure on this site and easily reset the service mile warning.

I found some other info.. and changed fuses 7, 10 and 13.. that did nothing. The lights are still on. I checked the brake fluid level and its fine. One thing I did note.. which may be a self-protection feature is that it would not engage into low when the transmission was in Neutral. And this always worked before this nightmare.

Anyone know if maybe disconnecting the battery or ECM for some time could reset this?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 AM

As long as you have your radio code, that is what I was going to recommend next (disconnecting the battery) or just the odometer (but I'm not sure if this would do anything at all). I had mine out to replace burned bulbs, very easy job.

I have a same wish for W163 service manual.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Ok.. I disconnected the positive terminal to the battery and let it sit for prob 1/2 hour. After I reconnected it.. and restarted.. only the BAS/ESP, ETS and ABS lights come on. The check engine light cleared. Also the car switches into low from neutral. WTF is going on?

Now I have to try to find the code for the radio.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Default Fixed

Got everything cleared. Took the wheels off and wiped any crud from the speed sensors... made sure there were no worn or damaged connections.. turned the steering wheel to extreme left and right.. checked the brake switch. (bought a new one but didn't change it out). Lights were still on... I drove less than one block and everything went out.

Whew.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrmayhem
Update.. I found a similar procedure on this site and easily reset the service mile warning.
Hi. I know that this thread is very old. But I'm also cannot reset the service miles on my ML320. I also get this [ 16 2 ] code instead.
Could you share with me this "similar procedure" that worked for you?
I've tried several of those flip-key-while-holding-button procedures with no avail.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

What I remember doing to reset the maintenance countdown on the odometer (the wrench or wrenches) was to:
Turn the ignition on to pos 2
as soon as you see the display change to "--------" where it should be mileage,
press the reset **** twice quickly.

This is how I reset mine just recently on my 01 ML320