Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

2000 ML320 - Starting Problem and Other Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Question 2000 ML320 - Starting Problem and Other Issues

I bought a used 2000 ML320 and I have been driving it 2 years. I bought it with 99k miles on it and now I have 124k on it. Currently, I have 4 issues starting with the biggest problems first.

1. It recently began not starting. I turn the key on and it cranks but won't fire up. Today was the 3rd time this has happened in the past 3 - 4 weeks. The prior 2 times I kept trying it and eventually it did start. Today, the same problem. I turned the key on and it was cranking but not starting and I eventually gave up. Based on what I read on other posts I ordered a new crank shaft positioning sensor. When I get it and install it I will post if it corrected the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be ?

2. The ESP Light is almost always on. On occasion it goes out, but it almost always goes right back on. Very rarely is it off for an extended period of time. Based on what I seen in other posts I ordered a brake stop light switch. Again, I will post if this corrects this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

3. In really cold weather when I start the ML320 and do not let it run for a very long time to warm up before putting it in Drive, the car will kick into Drive and stall. It will keep doing this unless I rev it up then shift it into drive with it rev'ed up so then when it starts rolling and moving forward it then won't stall. This happens all the time during the winter so I park it on a slight downslope in my alley and what I do is put it in neutral and let it roll then put it in drive and that hasn't been a problem. Does anyone know why the car stalls when shifting into drive in really cold weather?

4. In the 2 years that I owned this ML320, this has only happened 5 times or less. When starting the car and shifting it into drive the car won't change gears (its an automatic). Where the electronic dash shows the "D" for drive, there is actually nothing displayed. While driving it basically stayes in 1st gear. How I was able to solve this issue was putting it in park and turning the car off then starting it again and again till it went back to normal? Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?

Any feedback at all, I would greatly appreciate it. I am hoping to use this Mercedes for quite a few more years.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Diagnostic flowchart for a car that won't start or stalls - Troubleshooting for the starter, spark failure and the fuel pump

Does the transmission only do this when cold? Like if you go to drive it after it sitting for 5+ hours?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Yes, in problem 3 listed above, only when it is sitting like 5+ hours in cold weather it won't kick into Drive without stalling. Once the vehicle has been running a while it won't do that problem.

And thank you for the flow chart. I will look through it.

Last edited by Davit; 08-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.