Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this going to cost to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Default What's this going to cost to fix?

I've a 1997 E 320. Today I discovered the cause of a "cluncking" sound in the left front. The upper support for the spring has completely torn away from the wheel well wall. It looks like the weld gave away. The spring is wedged between what's left of the support (one side is still holding) and the shock absorber. Anyone have the pleasure of this experience? Can it even be fixed? What kind of repair would this be? Should I see a body shop/ collisions repair guy since I'm dealing with body tin? Any help is appriciated.

Thanks,
JB

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Default RE: What's this going to cost to fix?

hello yes I have seen it a few times and it is called a spring perch. we do send them to the body shop and they will weld a new one on.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned
Default RE: What's this going to cost to fix?

This has been a recall issue on a few years of the E series.Get to a dealer and squawk loudly,but nicely,and let them look at the problem,rusted perchs RECALL...
hope this helps,keep us posted,good luck at the stealership
ohlord
From a WIKI post
The W210 E-class is a reliable and safe car, with very few major mechanical problems. In a few very rare cases, the front spring perch has corroded and torn away from the inner fender, causing the front suspension to collapse. (4Matic models are not believed to be affected.) Minor problems include defective harmonic balancer pulleys (recall), rust on trunk lid near latch, rust on door frames under window seals (recall), defective mass airflow meter, melted rear light bulb sockets, defective blower motor regulators, and poorly designed rear window regulators.
Their is even talk of lawsuit in this matter,so push the dealer if they give you grief.
and a post from 2005 by crid ---- Sounds like you!!!!!
RE: recall notice.. W210 front spring towers [/align] [hr] Hello, (1997 E300 with 163K) Last Friday the upper Spring tower broke away from the frame. I was lucky in the fact it wedged against the shock and I was able to limp about a 1/4 mile to a safe place to park and call a flat bed tow truck. There were no signs of rust until you see where it tore away from the frame. I am going to contact the local MB dealer Monday to see if the Recall will help me out on the cost of repairs. Any advice on how to handle this situation will be greatly appreciated. A Big disappointment on an otherwise great car. Thanks,

[/align]