Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Going diesel - cost/benefits

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Default Going diesel - cost/benefits

I am new to this forum and live in Hamilton, NJ, near Trenton. I am interested in the economics of gas vs. diesel. Until this week's Oil Shock, I could probably have found a good used Mercedes Turbo-Diesel for under $15K. Given the new, likely permanent economics of gasoline (including the probability that the world will soon hit the Peak Oil point), what should I now expect to pay in an increasing-demand, shrinking-supply market for pre-1999 Turbo-Diesels? Can you get good deals in looking for otherwise sound diesel cars that need new engines?

What is the advantage in cost-per-mile of diesel over gasoline? What about year-over-year maintenance costs? Are non-Mercedes diesels (if you can find them) a better or worse bet? What about the option of converting a gas-powered car, such as a Toyota Camry, to diesel? Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Default RE: Going diesel - cost/benefits

I have not done, or know of, an overall cost analysis gas vs. diesel, but given the obvious of late, diesel selling between 40 and 80 cents cheaper than regular unleaded per gal, and the fact that most diesel Benzs use about 30% less fuel than gassers, on average, also the fact that Benz diesels last far longer than gas cars, even Benz gas cars, I would venture to guess that the diesel Benz is a better value!

Annual maintenance consist of twice yearly fuel filters, air filters, 5k oil changes w/synthetic, not really very much more than a gasser. You can also run Biodiesel, available but spotty, gotta look, or you can do a conversion to run veggie oil which most people get for free from restaurants etc.

My favorite diesel Benzs are the 87 300D, or 300SDL, 6 cylinder turbo, 30 mpg (they are very economical and very fast) or the newer 5 cylinder turbos from early 90's they get around 33 mpg, and the 95 E300D, a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder that gets around 35 mpg. I am not familiar with newer MB diesel cars and cant comment. Just stay away from the early 90's 350 SDL diesels as most had flawed engines!

Old 09-06-2005, 12:32 AM

The new cdi diesels are making 42 MPG, at least that what the guy I know in Montreal reports.
We are talking 210 HP bolid.
Some VW available all around the World, but USA make 80 + MPG.
Diesel car is much more than fuel price savings. I am commuting 500 miles to my project. Driving gasser Mercedes I had to do 2 fuel stops and come close to empty. With diesel I am filling once and have about 1/3 tank left for local driving, before I go back and fill at the truck stop again.
If you drive more, than 60k miles a year, you need to trade gassers about every 2-3 years.
With good diesels you can go 10 years, or even more.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 PM

All i can tell you is that my '82 240d get about 30mpg city at $2.89/gal

Old 09-07-2005, 03:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Benzbob
I have not done, or know of, an overall cost analysis gas vs. diesel, but given the obvious of late, diesel selling between 40 and 80 cents cheaper than regular unleaded per gal,
Hi Benzbob,

What part of the country/world do you hail from ?

Just curious as the Diesel here where I live (Northern Cal) is on the average of around .10 to .15 cents a gallon MORE than premium.

I know New Zealand's Diesel fuel is cheaper than regular unleaded petrol, but they tend to get you anyway, because if you have a diesel, you have to pay "Road Tax" by the kilometer. Makes it almost not worth it

Good points on the economy of Diesel and the longevity!

Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 AM

No offense SL600, but what you just said apply to the small stations inside the city like San Francisco borders.
I drive regularly from Bay Area to San Diego area and most of the time fill my wagon at Frazier Park on I-5.
Todays prices there are
Premium $3.36
Regular $3.19
Diesel $3.12
Actually there is Shell Truck Stop, that always beats FlyingJ prices on diesel, but didn't find their Internet listings.
http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/gasoline_CF.cfm?state=ALL

Old 09-08-2005, 04:17 PM

The US Department of Energy has a website that tracks fuel costs, including diesel. The URL is http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wo...#graph_buttons.

Also, a local Hess dealer just told me that his price per gallon for diesel fuel is $2.83 and holding steady.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM

the cost/benefit analysis will be unique per driver, IMO. If you do big annual mileage, let's say 20k miles or more, it probably is worth considering. In my area, diesel has always been priced on par with prem unld.... until recently. This is an instant disadvantage. At his time, diesel is about $.30 less per gallon than reg unld.

We've had a bunch of diesels: VW, Benz, Olds and Peugeot. We sold a 1996 Passat wagon a few weeks ago and it had 175k miles and we owned it since new. Great car but we did quite a bit of driving. Lifetime fuel economy was 43.5 mpg. We also have a Mk4 Jetta and that does a bit better on economy. I'd guess closer to 45 mpg. Both those cars are 5 speed manual.

My father has a '98 E300D. He does mid 20's around the city and probably very low 30's on the highway*.

I suspect maintenance costs are comparable, maybe slightly more costly to maintain the diesel depending upon mfr.

Again, do a lot of driving and you'll recover your cost sooner. If you aren't doing a lot of driving, the payback may never be realized. In addition, this is a really bad time to try to buy a diesel. The premiums sellers are looking for are crazy.

*The fuel consumption numbers for our 2002 E320 wagon are not vastly different compared to his diesel. We log around 25 mpg in mixed driving and 28 - 29 on the highway.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: SL600_Cruzin

ORIGINAL: Benzbob
I have not done, or know of, an overall cost analysis gas vs. diesel, but given the obvious of late, diesel selling between 40 and 80 cents cheaper than regular unleaded per gal,
Hi Benzbob,

What part of the country/world do you hail from ?

Just curious as the Diesel here where I live (Northern Cal) is on the average of around .10 to .15 cents a gallon MORE than premium.

I know New Zealand's Diesel fuel is cheaper than regular unleaded petrol, but they tend to get you anyway, because if you have a diesel, you have to pay "Road Tax" by the kilometer. Makes it almost not worth it

Good points on the economy of Diesel and the longevity!

I'm on the north east coast of the US, diesel up here is $2.99, regular unleaded is $3.39 and I've seen premium unleaded close to $4.00

Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the information. I am, frankly, amazed at the quality of the responses I have been getting to my question. Now I have one more. You noted that diesel owners are asking for crazy premiums in their selling prices. I have seen several offers of mid-80s vintage Benz diesels in the $3,000 to $6000 range, which doesn't seem too unreasonable. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Going diesel - cost/benefits