Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W124 D250 (overheating,injection & valve timing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Unhappy W124 D200 (overheating,injection & valve timing)

W124 D200 (overheating,injection & valve timing)

Hello everyone here

anyone could help me with the setting of the injection pump for W124 D200

overheating and valve timing with the injection timing ???

this car is for my close friend and I was thinking to help him but I guess I screwed up !

firstly the problem was getting overheating just after starting the let it run for about 20 minutes
the gauge jumps up and if I drive soon it passes 90
so I checked the radiater ok thermostat OK belt tension OK water pump OK
so I flush the engine to get rid of any blockage items and even I was thinking that there might be air blocked inside and I put water again and let the cap of the expansion tank out
and I start the engine without athermostat just to check and still getting overheated very quickly
I expect the trouble is the cylinder head gasket because once I start the the engine the water jumps out
from the expansion tank but there is no oil in the expansion tank and no compression leak and once I accelarate no more water flashing out anyway
I checked the valve timing and I find out that piston no1 was seted to 15 BTDC and when I checked the timing through the internet I found out that no1 is 15 but ATDC
so I took out the radiater and took out the valve cover turn the crankshaft but couldn't get my 15 ATDC I got just 5 or 20 ATDC maybe the timing chain needs to reduce I don't know
so the camshaft is alighned with the timing mark and I set it to 5 ATDC then I loosen the chain tensionerand I took out bolt of the camshaft gear sprocket and moved away the gear from the camshaft
and I turn just crankshaft clockwise to 5 ATDC and and I put back everything in position and I start the engine first didn't start but shortly start and the sound of the engine is very roughly so I moved to
the second step and I set to 20 ATDC also start but after I loosen the 3 mounted bolts of the injection pump and I turn the adjusting screw left to advance but again the sound of the engine vey roughly and has white smoke
and I think I heard something like piston knocking so I stoped direct the engine and returned to the old valve timing which is 15 BTDC but now because I turned the adjusting screw I screwed myself and
didn't get the old stable running engine even after I adjust back the adjusting screw and now I have a white exhaust smoke and the engine is running very rough .

this is my story

I don't have the position sesor RIV to set the start opening of the no1 outlet of the injection pump

thanks for reading

love to see some replies from the experts

regards

Last edited by marwan26; 08-24-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM

I edited my post and I was wrong about the engine model
D250 is 5 cylinder
the one I'm talking about is 4 cylinder which I think the model is D200 with 5 speed manual gearbox,diesel engine OM601

Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Default Temperature problem

White smoke ?

That usually sounds like a blown cylinder head gasket and when you also say the water is blown out once you start the engine you can be quite sure of it.

If you wait too long with repairing the cylinder head gasket you will end up replacing half the engine, because cooling liquid in your engine can be quite devastating.

I also understand that you screwed around with the timing of the fuel pump and that is the last thing you want to do. To adjust the timing you need special equipment, which normally only Mercedes mechanics have.

You can of course keep trying to repair it, but I think I would lift the cylinder head, have it flattened (mandatory if you take it off), put a new gasket (original and not some cheap imitation one) and reassemble the whole thing.
Good part is that they can also clean the valve seats and the valves itself.

After that I would first put the fuel pump back on the correct timing and then adjust the valves to the position they should be in.

In the mean time you should check the cooling system, especially the fan, on correct operation.

It is going to be a costly affair, but in this case you better play it safe instead of trying to fix it by screwing in up a little bit more.
________
MINIMONRO LIVE

Last edited by Mambo; 09-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM

this engine has injection pump and the manual pump is located on it and about the cooling system it's OK I check all over,
my question now is how to know the starting delivery of the injection pump therefore I turn the crakshaft to 15 ATDC and loosen the chain tensioner then removed the vacuum pump and removed also the 19 bolt (Left threaded) and take out the whole injection pump out and adjusted outside but how?

while I was searching I found out that you have to have whether the position sensor RIV or the Digital Testers just to adjust the starting delivery but I don't have them

so I took out the plug of the governor and turn the drive shaft of the injection pump and checking the outlet of no1 until diesel coming out but how is the exact position of the inside the governor I don't know, so maybe it will be set advanced or retarder ??

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

anyone familiar with the notch or the lug of the governer to get the exact timing of the OM601 diesel injection pump through the hole of the governer

any picture of this lug

Old 08-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Default fuel pump

Normally Mercedes mechanics have a special tool which they use to put the fuel pump on time. If you don't have that equipment setting the pump to its correct timing is a nightmare.
I would highly recommend going to a mechanic who has this special tool, it can save you a lot of trouble and time.
________
FlirtyJuly

Last edited by Mambo; 09-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Hello all

finally I got it started now no more white smoke and the engine is running very smoothly and sounds OK
the only probelm is still getting overheating and reaches nearly 100 plus on idling speed while the car is on a stand position
but while driving on a high way the tempreture is OK and doesn't pass 90 and I'm testing it without a thermostat becaeuse my friend brought me a thermostat with openning tempreture 65 celsius
so I decide temporary no need for putting it because I told him to bring a 80 celsius opening thermostat
and now I'm trying to find out the cause of this trouble

and here what I did so far to get the OM601 diesel injection pump adjusted for those who might face this trouble

after a long struggle of the injection pump adjusting here is the steps without the need of taking out the injection pump
so it's faster for you and to save time and the main idea is that you will be fine from getting air in the fuel system and to avoid removing the oil filter

- disconnect the battery terminal

- take out the valve cover

- you should be sure your piston no1 TDC and both cam lobes of no1 facing out which means both vales closed

- then turn the crankshaft right to 15 ATDC (marked on the pulley)

- engage the gearbox so not to move

- take out the vaccum pump then remove the inside sheild

- just loosen the camshaft gear bolt (17) support and then take out the chain tesioner

- remove no1 line from the injection pump outlet to the injector and blow out the remained diesel on the outlet no1 injection pump by small hose or anything

- remove the air filter and housing to have enough space

- remove 17 plug of the injection pump governor

- bring a mirror and flash light

- face the mirror in the front of the plug governor

- now remove the 17 bolt of the camshaft gear and take out the gear from the camshaft

- hold the timing chain by hand

- here is the most important part,bring 17 socket and T-handle with extension and turn the gear of the injection pump clockwise gently and observe the no1 outlet of the injection pump until diesel starts to comes out,
during this action watch through the hole by the mirror the position of the inside lug of the governor and once the diesel is coming out you see that the lug of the governor inside the hole just starting to show up
and keep turning the the injection pump gear more clockwise gently and keep looking at the same time at the crankshaft of not being turned and well located at the mark 15 ATDC and once you notice the diesel rises and overflow the outlet
you see that the lug just start closing the hole, in this situation your pump is set to nearly 15 ATDC therefore keep holding the 17 bolt that supporting the injection pump gear by helping someone and then you put back
the chain timing on the camshaft gear sprocket and be sure that the chain timing side to the injection pump side is tight to avoid your timing out of range then torque your camshaft gear and put back the chain tensioner bolt and tight it .

- now put back every thing in position (the inside sheild,vaccum pump,hoses,injection pump 3 support bolts and nuts,line pipe of the injection pump,air filter,vale cover,fan,radiater )
and torque them to specified manufacturer

congratulations the car now is starting and you can adjust the engine running or exhaust smoke is after you let the engine running and reach 80 degree celsius of tempreture now stop the engine and loosen the injection pump supported bolts to avoid oil flashing out while engine running and turn the adjusting screw right for Retarder or left for Advance,
run the engine again and check the difference if not change the direction of the adjusting screw and if you see no more smoke from the exhaust then tight the injection pump bolts and nuts,
and to adjust the engine idling is done by running the engine also to working tempreture 80 Celsius and loosen 17 counter nut at the back of the injection pump and turn the 15 vaccum control unit nut as required then tight back the 17 counter nut for locking position and now the engine sounds pretty good and powerfull .

finally the engine is running smoothly and no more white smoke without thermostat but while the car is running on a stand position (idling speed) the engine is getting overheat very fast but on the road the tempreture is OK and not passing 90 Celsius,
and I notice some water bubbles and water is coming out from the expansion tank and there is no oil in the expansion tank,
Is the problem will be the head gasket or air blocked in the system ?

I'm waiting for your replies

thanks for reading

best regards