Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration coming to a stop from low speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Default Vibration coming to a stop from low speed

My 2000 E430 goes through a sort 3 second shudder decelerating from revs below 2000 to idle. If I decelerate from higher engine revs (faster speed) the vibration doesn’t happen. (IE craw along in slow stop-go traffic is the worse).
Recently I changed the transmission filter with a fluid change, and then a full change with the torque converter. Fluid level measures at the top of the mark (80 degs) when the engine has been run for a while. (Not sure if this is really 80 degs), and this vibration seems to have occurred after the tranny fluid change but not noticeable straight away - so coincidence or not?

Is this vibration a sign of a bad motor or transmission mount? How does one check an engine mount?

Anyone have any ideas what this shudder/vibration is on a W210 car?

Old 12-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Default RE: Vibration coming to a stop from low speed

when was the last time u had a tune up done.that might be a possible cause.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 AM

60K miles, all service parts/fluids new accept plugs and wires which are next on the list. Other than this shudder the engine is super smooth and fast! so I am not thinking lack of tune-up BUT is it engine related and not suspension wheel related (all wheels / tires / balanced with no flat spots / dents). There are no fault codes set on my OBD reader. It doesnt feel like brakes either.

thanks for your suggestion - Anyone else want to try and help me solve this problem?

Old 12-21-2005, 01:42 AM

Then your plugs and wires could be the cause.I have a C280 wich had similar symptoms (but doesn`t stop from low speed).i had the plugs replaced.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:12 AM

Hi,
Could well be a trans issue.
1. What happens when you decelerate whilst selecting different gears (using TIP) rather than letting the box select and change automatically?
i.e. Is the problem gear / gear change related?
2. Do the revs drop in line with decreasing road speed or is the box changing down a gear when the shudder occurs?
3. Are there any OBD codes Stored or Pending?
3. Was the oil used the correct grade etc for MB?

Why do you guys in the USA change the trrans oil so often? I thought MB auto boxes were "sealed" for life or at least for 100k+ miles.
Stuart.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM

Stuart,
Down shifting manually is smooth
Revs feel like they drop correctly with decreasing road speed. Recall this only happens at slow speeds / low revs.
I'm not sure about pending OBD codes but none are stored that I can see using a generic OBD tester.
The tranny fluid is MB brand for this MB electronic 5-speed automatic, dip-stick tool is MB.

To change or not to change tranny fluid on a sealed-for-life box is a topic where many owners believe its not really and changing it makes them feel better about it. Mine is much smoother at shifting after 60K miles. I cannot locate evidence that a box would last longer by having regular fluid changes. For life 100K? when are engines are supposed to go 500K miles?maks me want to change mine.

thanks Stuart
Jim

Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 PM

OK, this vibration turned out to be primarily the motor mounts. At the same time I also replaced the lower front control bushings and a worn left hand side ball joint. Now the car is running super smooth and quite with no vibration.