Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough idle when coming to a stop at times

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Default rough idle when coming to a stop at times

rough idle when coming to a stop at times. sometimes there is hesitation on take off, could this be spark plugs when I am only at 54,000 miles? 2004 E320

Old 09-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Default RE: rough idle when coming to a stop at times

Get the OBD codes read to see if this gives some direction.
Could be lots of things.
Have you looked at the plugs to see if they are all same colour and visible OK?
Contaminated fuel?
First signs of Crank Position Sensor?
MAF?
etc.
Stuart

Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 PM

thanks Stuart, working on buying a scanner from ebay now. any suggestions on type/model?

Al

Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 AM

Al,
There are hundreds, sorry thousands to choose from.
I had a Palm PDA so decided to go Auterra DynoScan which runs on a Palm..
Excellent bit of kit. Handy, robust software and does a lot more than most.
However that is not a recommendation. I basically don't know. They were on promotion at 150USD when I got mine. Many are cheaper. Many more expensive, so its your choice.
Stuart

Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Banned

please go to my post on http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/ the w210 forum and see the sticky labeled deals section look at the first item that greg posted on the obd2 scanner,the centec works,its easy to use and i hardly ever trust some of the crap that is on ebay.
Are you using premium fuel?Changed your fuel filter?Plugs are good to 100000 miles...changed the air filter?Checked for broken vacuum hoses on the engine?Do all the above if they have not been performed,then run a can of seafoam or techron injector cleaner in the gas tank at double strength(wait till you are at 1/4 tank,put the cleaner in and fill to 1/2 tank.) Drive till on reserve and then fill with premium.
Air flow,fuel flow,and dirty injectors are the major causes of off idle acceleration and deceleration issues.
ohlord
ohlord

Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 AM

I have a 2002 E320 that I bought usedw/71K miles 3 months agoand Ive been having the same problem of lately.It jerks a lil or a putting feeling when stopped at stoplights/signs and when taking off.Its been ideling weird unlike a Mercedes is supposed to(Drove2001 S430 & S500 of my parents).Im slowly but surely fixing the problem.I replaced my ignition coils(all 6) after finding out 1 of them went out and that helped the bad idel some.I replaced my fuel filter yesterday and that helped alot but hasnt fixed the problem completly, my check engine light is still on.Im getting all of this work done by a trusted mechanic of my family.The OBD code reads misfire in cylinder 1.My mechanic says after replacing the spark plugs time after time that the plugs in cylinder are coming out wet so he thinks its my fuel injector.I put a can of BG44k fuel system cleaner in before replacing the fuel filter and that instantly helped the acceleration.Reading similar posts, the mass air flow sensor may be my problem so I will probably buy 1 if my problem doesnt get any better in a week.Please reply when U figure out or fix your problem and likewise I will do the same now that Im registered on here.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

stop throwing stuff at it.Once again the trusted mechanic thing!hes fleecing you.If the cyl 1 was wet it is either not firing,cause of the cyl misfire code or the compresson is gone on that cylinder.Which I doubt on a car with so few miles or an injector is clogged or badTrack that down and you will cure the rough running.Doesn't sound like you are the diy type,so you need to go to a different mechanic,this one does not know ,jack...get the codes read for free at pep boys/autozone and post them here.or buy the code reader I mentioned and learn to read them yourself,and please post the codes here.............replaced all the coils?insanity!!!!!!!!how much did that waste of time set you back?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
And please before you have a maf put in,ask how much the trusted mechanic will charge you.....then before you do it tell us how much,once again post the obd codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM

As Ohlord has reiterated and I indicated at the start of this thread ...Get the codes read!
5 minutes and many places will do it for free if you are not a DIY type.

The codes will MOST LIKELY point you (US) in the correct direction and SAVE you money by identifying the CORRECT problem source.

Stuart.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 PM

Sounds to me like the air filter isn't pushed all the way down on the MAF sensor. Check this first.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Banned

My God,what kind of Mercedes tech could you possibly claim to be?Air filter pushed down onto the mass air sensor?Have you ever even looked under the hood of the E series?PUSH the air filter down on what?It's not even in the same air box as the filter.
Please tell everyone what dealer you work at so they can Run away even faster from that dealer shop then they usually should!!!!!!!!!
ohlord

Quick Reply: rough idle when coming to a stop at times