Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Banned
Default RE: left front end noise

Rest easy the spring perch issue was solved way before your model year.Yours could be sway bar bushings or other easy to fix items under warranty.
ohlord

Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 AM

ducbox, what's your location? The spring perch problem is a recall in Canada. Had my '96 E320 fixed for free when the car was 9 years old.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: ohlord

Rest easy the spring perch issue was solved way before your model year.Yours could be sway bar bushings or other easy to fix items under warranty.
ohlord
Man, that is a relief! Whatever it is, it makes a 'pop' sound ... and sometimes I get the sence when breaking a certain way let releasing, I almost feel the front wheel give a little (?). Kinda strange, but it doesn't seem too bad or noticable.

Anyone had any luck with the dealers honoring the putchase of extended warrantees such as what I bought? I got 15K miles, or sometime before about 95K to take it in and see what they will do.

Thanks again, ohlord ... I will rest a bit easier now!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Banned

Depends how good the warranty is that you purchased.Most are third party warrantys so read the fine print ,for they surely will.........Take it in,soon.You really need to find out what is going on even if it is not covered,at least that way you wont make it worse.Call the warranty 800 number and find out if they have any restrictions on where you can take the car for warranty work.
ohlord

Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM

well I had the local "factory authorized" body shop take a look at my E320 and they determined thai it is a defect by MB. Princeton NJ MB service guy tells me that they will process the paperwork for MB to pay possibly 50%. The estimate to repair one side is $1100....lets hope MB picks up half.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM

your car is designed differently you dont have that problem.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: ducbox

well I had the local "factory authorized" body shop take a look at my E320 and they determined thai it is a defect by MB. Princeton NJ MB service guy tells me that they will process the paperwork for MB to pay possibly 50%. The estimate to repair one side is $1100....lets hope MB picks up half.
Ducbox -

I remember you said that you looked and seen that a spring perch was in fact broken ... I guess that is what the body shop came up with as well? I don't recall what year model E320 you have or how many miles are on it ... let us know how this progresses with MB paying half ... good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: ohlord

ohlord
Update on mine: The Battery Service indicator came on the other day ... so I went ahead and took it to the MB Dealer. They replaced a dead backup battery ($144 + labor) and looked over the front-end for that noise problem. They said I had new German shocks/sruts, but they were after-market and they would not touch them. The guy said that something was set to its lowest postion and is not setup correctly for the car. I would need to have someone take the struts off, adjust the height, put back on, test drive, then do a 4-wheel alignment. He said MB could do it with authentic parts for $1050, including labor He said it was difficult to adjust these struts too ... anyone have suggestions on that?

Also, the Tech said both of the front Cross Strut Bushings are torn ... fix for those are about $350 ... any thoughts on that?

Total bill for backup battery and lookover: $316.72

As for the warrantee, he said nothing was covered under that, and that if I went back to where I bought the car and purchased a plan that did cover some things (strut bushings) the warrantee company would consider it a "pre-existing condition" now, and probabally not cover it anyway.