Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Got the OBD Code Setting Blues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Unhappy I Got the OBD Code Setting Blues

I want to get my 2004, 320-E smog checked but not all of my sensors are ready. I have one of them that is incomplete and, in California, you cannot get a smog certificate until all of your OBD sensors are set. I know that, in order to reset sensors, you are supposed to take the vehicle through a drive cycle. I also know there are literally dozens of drive cycles that are recommended. I have tried most all of them and the sensor will not reset.

In case you have never tried to run a drive cycle, it is very difficult and very dangerous because, if you live in an urban area as we do (Los Angeles), there is only one place you can drive at 55 mph for 5 minutes without stopping, and that's the freeway. Then, you must coast the car to a stop without using the brake. On the freeway? Try that some time if you like the sound of horns, raised middle fingers and the thrill of a near-death experience.

I don't know what to do. I took the car to my mechanic who said he thought he could get the sensor reset, but he was not able to do it. The deadline for registration is getting closer, and I can't re-register the car without a smog certificate.

Has anyone ever had a problem such as this and, if so, were you able to solve it? Help!