General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

FIBER OPTIC SOUD SYSTEM BLUES

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Default FIBER OPTIC SOUD SYSTEM BLUES

MY LAST POST WAS A CRY FOR HELP AND SINCE IT WENT UN-ANSWERED IVE HAD TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR MYSELF. I WILL SHARE WHAT IVE LEARNED ABOUT THESE FIBER OPTIC SYSTEMS. NEVER KINK A FIBER OPTIC CABLE. NEVER UNPLUG OR DISCONECT ANY FIBR OPTIC DEVICE WHEN THE IGNITION IS ON. (DISCONNECT THE BATTERY) NEVER ASSUME THAT YOUR $120K AUTOMOBILE IS AMUNE TO THE DIABOLICAL GREMLINS THAT PREY ON ELECTRONICS. MY CD CHANGER WENT NUTS AND WHEN I PULLED IT OUT TO LOOK AT IT I MUST HAVE UNPLUGGED THE AMP AND IT SENT THE SYSTEM INTO A SELF PRESERVATION MODE OR SOME SORT OF SAFTY MODE AND IT KILLED THE SOUND. THE CD WAS UNABLE TO BOOT UP AND THE SYSTEM WENT QUIET. THE AMP WOULD ONLY TURN ON FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS AND GO SILENT THEREAFTER. SINCE I FOUND A NEW AMP ON E-BAY I TRIED IT OUT AND IT DID THE SAME THING: ON FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS THEN OFF. MAJICALLY , AFTER IDLEING THE CAR AT THE BANK DRIVE THROUGH THE RADIO CAME BACK TO LIFE AND HAS BEEN WORKING FINE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT STILL NO CD RECOGNITION. i WILL BUY A NEW ONE AND TRY TO INSTALL IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. ANY BODY GONE THROUGH THIS?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Default RE: FIBER OPTIC SOUD SYSTEM BLUES

I wish I understood the specifics of the MB audio system after having been given an insight by a guy at Alpine (UK) who make some of the units for MB under contract. Whether the unit is made by Alpine, Becker, BOSE the design iand specification is an MB one.

Basically the components of the system are connected via a bus (fibre optic D2B dependent upon age of vehicle) and there are a number of checks that the system performs to ensure optimum performance just like with the Engine Management System.

Apparently these checks also include security and it is for this reason that units apparently have to be coded. the guy at Alpine advised just how many "customers" ring up to say that stuff they bought on eBay doesn't work and ask what is wrong etc.
The advantage of units being connected in this way is that you can access and read the codes to determine what is the problem.

Anybody out there who can add to or differ with the above please do so. Lets see if we have some experts out there.

Anybody got a list of what the codes are?

Sleepwalker....are you there.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

got cellphone?

cellphone is working?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Hello andrehalito,

the D2B is a closed ring-system.
It starts from the head-unit, goes into the bose-AMP, out of the AMP further into the CDC, out of the CDC further into (if present) the telephone-interface, then back to the comand head-unit.

If the ring is damaged at any position, the entire system will malfunctioning.

Check the fiber cables and plugs.
Did You say that You kinked one of the fibre-cables in Your 2002 W220/S500 ?
Did You check the fiber-plugs too?

You can open the plugs, take out the cables and reconnect them to one single plug... then You can plug it alone to the AMP or CDC to see if the comand will recognize it.

Another possibility:
If there is a loose contact in the "wake up" line, the D2B-members will stay off.

Did You also check, if the connectors at all devices are ok and fully inserted?

Greetings
Peter

Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

simple way to check also is to see if it flashes (recognition) by turning on-off the radio/comand.