Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi new user, pls i have a couple of tech questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Default Hi new user, pls i have a couple of tech questions

Hi all i am a new user in this forum.

I have a 2003 E240 from the day of purchase till today that has run 88000 km.

Actually we have a couple of Benzes in the family and allthough i was never a fan and so how many problems we had i went for it.

I have had too many problems to mention with the car (the official problems list is 18 pages long) mainly electrical and electronics related (the most funny and expensive one was when it was turned in to boat - once we had heavy rain and most of it ended in the car because the drain sinks where dirty), but lately i have had some serious ones.

Please if you have any idea do give me some insight.

1) About a week ago the yellow lamp indicating an engine error went on.
I called them up and they said no problem just 'Put some other fuel in it, if it persists then come by the garage'.
The lamp didn't go off, the car had a loss of power approximately by 30% (later they told me that this is managed by the vehicle's on board computers), when suddenly the lamp went off for 2 days.

Until it came up again and remained on with the loss of power at more than 50%.

The express service benz runs over here came in within an hour, plugged in a laptop did some tricks like clearing the air inlets on the engine, but because the lamp just wouldn't go off they said again 'Put some new fuel - it seems it is a mixture problem, if it persists come by the garage'.

The thing is that later that day when running with about 100 km per hour and with my daughter on board, the car gagged and instantly switched off. The steering wheel could not be moved and thank God the brakes worked.

Those morrons that have designed this crap on 4 wheels have put such a feature of hydraulic-electrical something... for the wheel....plus automatic software controlled engine power reduction....when the online measurement of noise in the cylinders exceeds some limits....

In simple words if the fuel is a little bad (or the air is not enough ?) this car decides by itself what to do and not just .... burn it.

So i took the car in to be looked at (all the services are by the book on Mercedes authorised dealers).

At first they didn't beleive me that it went off, then they plugged in that laptop again and their faces changed.

For 3 days they couldn't find what caused the problem when allas on the 4th day they said we changed all the spark plugs plus the cabling of the plugs, plus air filters and some plastics relating to air inlets. The bill paid was arround 1000 USD and everything seems normal.

But when driving it i don't feel the car as powerfull as it was. Is it possible that they just did some software trick and that it will happen again.

It is for a fact that i lost faith to it but it just doesn't feel normal.....

Thanks for your patience and time.

GeorgeP

Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hi new user, pls i have a couple of tech questions

the airmass sensor must be faulty.

ask them to check the actual value again on engine idling.

injection time should be about 3.2ms a/c off.

throttle valve angle, 0.7 degree

take note of airmass sensor voltage and tell me.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:40 AM

Thanks.

I called them and they said they changed it.

But because whenever they change something they put it in a box in the trunk and i did not see anything like a sensor,

just the 12 spark plugs and some cables, and a plastic thing, i will go in and see if it reads out these measurements.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 AM

They did change it i saw it on the invoice.

I asked about the measurments and they said they are all normal as they should be.

I don't trust these people.

And the problem is that all the garazes which are authorised don't have a good reputation.

Their attitude is extremely arrogant.

I told them i have had many problems with the car that they should take care of it.....and do you know what they said,
"Buy the new E series due in early July which has all these problems fixed'

So i paid about 85000 USD for this car which now they buyback for 30000 USD and i should go for the new one......i would better burn it in front of the dealership.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

just calm down george.

it might be just a minor problem such as clogged fuel filter, blocked catalyst, or faulty pedal travel sensor.

i wish i am there to pinpoint out the problem in just a very short time.

just give them more time to find out the problem for it is only on their hands and ability (if they have) to do it.

i also don't like their arrogant manner of presuming and assuming things without doing the proper test procedures.

if i have to do it, i will lose face bragging about things when i cannot fix it at all.

have a nice day.