Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ABS problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Default Help ABS problem!!!

Hey im new to this fourm and i have a few questions about the abs system on my 02 e320 sedan
The abs light/esp light and malfunction messagesare appearingon my dashthis just started appearing today
Now the abs is not working at allbecause when i slam the brakes they just lock... the pedal does not vibrate any more...
im not sure what is causing this problem or how to tell what the problem is?

im also not sure if that by the abs not working the esp is not working or if its the esp not working which is causing the abs not to work?

the car is no longer under factory warranty it isa used vehicle although it is under a 2 year unlimited powertrain warranty but i am not sure if this problem would be covered?

if this problem is not covered estimated how much would this cost to fix parts/labour?

also i have a few more questions unrelated to the abs system

on the message screen i always get an error message saying brake lining wear visit workshop
now im not sure if this is just the sensor but my pads appear to be in great shape?

and another unrelated question about my sunroof when i retract i have to keep pressing the switch cause it stops retractacting it retracts about an inch each time i press the switch how can i fix this?

any help/advice would be very much appreciated
Thank you

Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Banned
Default RE: Help ABS problem!!!

Go to benzworld.org w210 section look at the diy section,you have either a bad abs sensor or the most common issue is a defective brake switch about 20 bucks from the dealer and a half hour of your time to replace it.
sun roof sync it per the instructions in your owners manual .
ohlord

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 AM

thank you

Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 AM

ABS/EPS
Have you checked the fuses?
Brake light switch often gives problems. Low cost to replace.
ABS / EPS use common parts in the system. i.e. speed sensors, brake switch so they usually go out together.
Best approach is to get a REAL MB garage to run STAR diagnostics and tell you (computer report) what codes are showing on the vehicle systems (different from the engine codes). They should do this if you bought the car from them under Goodwill, but sometimes Goodwill is scare!! Ensure they don't correct the problem without advising what is wrong and allowing you to come back here if you wish. Non MB garages are unlikely to have the correct STAR diagnostics but other (expensive) systems can be used. Take care!

Pad warning. Sounds like sensor wire hasn't been replaced after the last brake pad replacement. The little sensors cost a few dollars and are basically a looped piece of wire which needs to be intact to turn the light off. The wire is cut by the disc rotor when the pads wear down to a predetermined point. IF the rotors need to be replaced these can also cut a good sensor much earlier than the point at which worn pads normally cut the sensor.

Sunroof. Sounds like the electrical current sensing device is cutting power because the motor is struggling to overcone resistance as the roof shuts. This one is more difficult to resolve like this. Need some measurements etc.

Try some WD40 or similar lubricant on the moving parts of the mechanism.

Stuart.