General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Help ABS problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Default Help ABS problem!!!!

Hey im new to this fourm and i have a few questions about the abs system on my 02 e320 sedan
The abs light/esp light and malfunction messagesare appearingon my dashthis just started appearing today
Now the abs is not working at allbecause when i slam the brakes they just lock... the pedal does not vibrate any more...
im not sure what is causing this problem or how to tell what the problem is?

im also not sure if that by the abs not working the esp is not working or if its the esp not working which is causing the abs not to work?

the car is no longer under factory warranty it isa used vehicle although it is under a 2 year unlimited powertrain warranty but i am not sure if this problem would be covered?

if this problem is not covered estimated how much would this cost to fix parts/labour?

also i have a few more questions unrelated to the abs system

on the message screen i always get an error message saying brake lining wear visit workshop
now im not sure if this is just the sensor but my pads appear to be in great shape?

and another unrelated question about my sunroof when i retract i have to keep pressing the switch cause it stops retractacting it retracts about an inch each time i press the switch how can i fix this?

any help/advice would be very much appreciated
Thank you

Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Default RE: Help ABS problem!!!!

most of the time on older E classes it is the brake light switch under the dash-fairly easy to replace but i recomend getting codes checked out-if brake pads are ok then you have a broken sensor more then likely-what happens is the rotors will cut into the sensor wires and break them open-
as far as the sunroof goes perform the following procedur
with sunroof in the closed position push and hold the button all the way forward so the sunroof tilts open and keep holding it for approx. 10 seconds after the tilt position is reached-then pull down on the switch to close the tilt position and keep holding it down for another 10 seconds after it is closed-then open the sunroof and it should reinitialize itself-hope that works for ya

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM

It's an ESP control module. Parts and labor total around $1500. No choice but to take it in. All the other messages will go away once they replace this.

I had the SAME issue. I knew I had good brakes and rotors BUT they may TRY to get you to replace those as well. If you know they are sufficient and don't need replacing, tell them to just repair the ESP control module. The esp shuts off the ABS and the BAS.....thats why you may see those messages as well. These inturn trigger the brake wear message. (i don't know why)

Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Hello, I just want to warn people with MB and having to replace that brake switch.

I have a 1995 SL 500 and the wires going to the brake switch has two pairs of wires going to the switch, The top pair sends 12 volts to the ea, cc and isc modules, Well the wire caught fire and almost cost me a wiring harness. Something caused the short in the wires. Both ars/abs light came on. after I unshoted the wire the lights went out and the brake lights work now. All is fine except the burined wires under the dash.

After reading this forum and several other I have been looking at. It seems that MB has been replacing alot of switches and wiring harness and charging big bucks.

I also own a 1995 for truck, and last year I got a recall notice, that says that the cruise control (CC) can cause an under the hood fire.

Seems to me that MB should have a recall also.

I was told by MB USA when I wrote them about the problem, to take it to a dealer and they would work with me. Well I callled them and guess what, They want big bucks to replace the switch and any wires that might have burned, nothing about helping me trouble shoot the cause of the FIRE in the first place and no safety recall as of yet.