Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP, BAS,ABS Light is On

Old 11-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Default ESP, BAS,ABS Light is On

2000 E320 with ESP/BAS/ABS warning lights on.

Cruise control no longer functional which I assume is disabled for safety reasons until ABS etc... is resolved. Brakes work fine but for lack of ABS. No other problems noted.

What are the typical resolutions for this problem? Sensor or something much larger? Is there a way to determin without a trip to dealer? Finally, being pretty mechanical and assuming I can nail down problem, is this a systems I can repair or should I plan on dealer repair?

Closest dealer in 90mins away and a big pain as I must wait for repair or arrange for someone to pick me up and then secure a ride back to pick up the car.

Thanks for help.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Default RE: ESP, BAS,ABS Light is On

I would suspect the brake light switch. Common failure.
Two SEPARATE circuits in one switch. NO/NC.
NO operates brake lights and CSL interlock.
NC inputs to ABS, BAS, ESP, Cruise.

If not the Brake switch then likely a wheel speed sensor (X4).....but of course not the one that inputs into the Instrument pack.
Usual problem is metallic particles on the tip of the sensor. Wipe clean and all OK again. However wiring connectors also prone to water etc.
Stuart

Old 11-20-2006, 05:36 AM

snanceki,

I failed to mention that my ABS is not-funtioning as well. Is this normal and consistant with Brake light switch failure. That is to ask, is the ABS system also disabled, along with cruise/BAS/ESP, etc... when sensors bad?

(X4) - your are referring speed sensors on all 4 wheels need to be cleaned - correct? Just so I do not screw this up...where exactly will I find the sensor after removing the wheel? top/bottom, attached to caliper or ??

Thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 06:42 AM

ABS is also one of the group of interlinked systems. Can't quite remember the hierarchy but when one goes out it cascades to the others on a simple logic basis since many components of the system are the same. eg the brake modulator impacts not only braking but also limiting slip because it applies the brakes to stop the wheel spinning.

However I believe your problem is the brake switch and this also impacts the ABS directly. Only one brake switch for all systems you have a problem with. I missed that you hadn't included ABS.

X4 Yes I meant 4 sensors, 1 per wheel.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks Suart

Will report - switch is on the from Mercedes