Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E430 spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Default Love the piggy bank idea ;)

Originally Posted by cigaro
One last note. I'm starting to put a dollar in a piggy bank everyday. When the time comes to replace the spark plugs again, I'll have the dealer do it with the money in the piggy bank.
I recently dove in like you and changed my plugs, took me about 2 hours, I think because I had general experience with changing plugs on my own on over 20 other cars in the past. There are some things about spark plug work that are always the same.

My car recently hit the 115k mark and things started expiring lol,, MAF, Motor Mounts, O2 sensors, Transmission, Lower ball joints, Brake Rotors, Oyyy.

My piggy bank ran dry pretty quick, and hell I did all the work myself ;( But I still have to consider the money I would have had to spend for labor and with that in mind I am actually very relieved. I have clearly saved THOUSANDS in labor mainly thanks to these forums and the great guys who supply knowledge and info on them.

I am working on getting the piggy bank refortified asp, my next challenge has already shown itself lol... getting a popping noise somewhere in the front suspension when the wheels are turned to the right and I go in or out of a driveway etc. Most likely time for bushings...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Thumbs up Not that big a deal after all.

Folks,
My son and I did this job for the first time today. It took us 2.5 hours on the driver side bank but only 1.5 hours on the other side. We followed the advice given on this thread and a Porsche thread by using a dedicated plug removal tool, LED trouble light, and Sears locking socket extensions. I am sure we could do this again in under 3 hours. The hardest part was reinstalling the plug caps. You have no leverage to push them home.
I must say that the OE plugs were shot. They were the old style gaped plugs and the electrode was almost too worn to see. Well, I think they had never been changed in 157K miles!
I would suggest that you use a tight fitting, old leather glove on your right hand to avoid the collateral skin damage mentioned by others on this site.
Our total outlay was $34 in tools and $60 in new plugs. Take that Dealerships! LOL

Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 AM

MR Sward2,

Out standing!! Congats!! Welldone.. DIY is the only way to solve some simple job and to save your money.

Rockerfella174

Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
rbp

I have E430 2000. Today as I was driving my car lost power (shut off) and all light in my dash board came one. After few seconds I was able to start my car and drove away. I used diagnostic tool at the Advanced Auto Part and two codes come on. One was P0335 (Crankshaft Position "A" Circuit, and the other one was P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor). This is second time that this happened withing one week.
Does anybody know what the problem could be. I have no idea where to star. Any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Richard

Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Did you already have some of the tools needed? I think I've put together a list of tools needed from reading the forum and after pricing some of them it comes to bit more than what you quoted. Maybe you can direct me to all the places you went to assemble the list. Any help would be appreciated. I think I am going to do my own as much as I can anyway.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 AM

"My car recently hit the 115k mark and things started expiring lol,, MAF, Motor Mounts, O2 sensors, Transmission, Lower ball joints, Brake Rotors, Oyyy."

It seems as though I am having some of the same things go wrong with mine, and I've read some DIY post, but I thought I'd ask which ones you found most helpful in completing these tasks, O2 sensors, motor mounts, lower ball joints, etc. I work better with pics and step by step instructions.