Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Default E320 problem

O.K, first of this is my first post on here, I dont own a merc, my father does however and has a problem. Its a E320 on a y plate 2001. We were driving back home when the dash picked up three warning faults, esp, bas, and abs. It says to take to a dealer right away. We arrived home, switched the engine off, turned it back on, and the the engine will not start, totaly dead!! Checked battery, getting 12.30 v, brake fluid is all toped up, oil is ok, checked everything, but the engine will just not start, not even turn over, or try to. VW's are my game and on the mk4's, if you get 10 faults or more the ecu switches to limp mode and you can only drive a 30mph tops!! Im thinking the same on my dads merc as the engine was 100% ok before the ignition was turned off. Has anyone got a clue whats up????

Any info would be great, thanks, Joe

Old 05-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Default RE: E320 problem

Welcome.

12.3 v = Dead battery which explains No Start.

Circuits like ABS, ESP, BAS cut out if voltage drops below a predetermined limit in order to ensure that performance (these are Safety Systems) operate as expected if required.

Once a battery goes below 12.5 it has been permanently damaged.

Question is why has voltage dropped. Alkternator not charging correctly? Internal short in battery? (old age)..... although this would like give even lower results.

Stuart

Old 06-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Default RE: E320 problem

I agree with snanceki. However, I have seen a problem like this before on a few other's vehicles. On each wheel, there is a brake sensor. Remove the sensor, which is a metal magnetic sensor, make sure its clear of any debris, especially some metal shavings. Not to worry if there is some metal shavings, it actually is normal to a certain point. I don't get why it is the way it is, but I literally have seen a few vehicles with dirty brake sensors that will not allow the engine to start because it failed the brake systems check. Its odd to me, but I guess its a safety feature courtesy of Mercedes-Benz.