Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 PM
plw
Default Trans Question

I have a 1997 E420, 120K, and am having some trouble with trans. When accelerating, "kicks" into gear around 20 mph and again at 35-40 mph rather than shifting smoothly. A couple of times, tach shot up before fully engaging gears. No problems once in gear, no problems above about 40 mph, doesn't always happen - most likely is when accelerating and going up a hill. I can drive it as it is, but starting to get irritating. Question - What do you think the minimum charge from a dealer would be to remove and re-install trans and maybe a "minor" repair? If I have an 80% probability of less than $2500 I would probably do it. If I have an 80% probability of over $4000, I would not. Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Default RE: Trans Question

Wow,

Minor transmission repair. remove, rebuild, refit. Wouldn't like to hazarda guess.

However since you are having problems are you sure the oil level is correct and that it is filled with genuine MB fluid?

Have you had the dealerread the codes (if any) in the On Board Diagnostics.

These procedures will cost more like 200 USD rather than thousands BUT may not solve the problem. They will however validate the fact that the trans requires internal repair.

Stuart.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Default RE: Trans Question

Assuming its an automatic transmission:

Try draining the transmission fluid, removing the 30 or so bolts and drop the pan. INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION OIL. If there is a lot of metal shavings in the oil, thats bad news. You might need to have a mechanic take a look at it. Otherwise, at the bottom of the transmission, you will see a metallic transmission oil filter. Purchase a new filter and put everything back together, after inspecting the pan gasket, and cleaning the drain hole plug's magnetic end, of course. Refill the transmission with new, not used transmission fluid. Consult your owners manual for the right ATF. Run the car a bit, see what happens. Sometimes it'll still act up for a few minutes, thats because the transmission may need time to clean itself out and get the new oil flowing throughout the transmission. Pretty common problem you have, and this should fix the problem.