Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 Volume Knob Problem. Electronic Seat Problem. This is a Stumper!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Default E320 Volume **** Problem. Electronic Seat Problem. This is a Stumper!

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 E320 with two very odd problems and would love if you guys could help a lady out and spread your knowledge and help me fix my car.

Problem #1
When I'm playing a CD or listening to the radio and I try to turn the volume up just a little, the actual volume will go very loud and then go very quiet and then go very loud again and then very silent and this pattern continues until I frantically play with the volume **** and then I can eventually settle it to the right volume.
The weird part is that I can feel each "click" of the volume **** as I turn it up, so I don't think it's loose. I just dont understand how two clicks to the right will turn the volume up so loud so suddenly, almost appears to be against the laws of physics.
Any possible diagnosis/solutions?!

Problem #2
The front passenger seat/shotgun seat. When I push the electronic seat button "back" the seat moves forward.
Any possible diagnosis/solutions?!

The trend appears to be the electronics are doing the reverse of what they should be doing!

PLEASE HELP!!

Old 09-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Default RE: E320 Volume **** Problem. Electronic Seat Problem. This is a Stumper!

Hi,

Radio. OE radio? with Bose upgrade? Very unusual. Think you need the dealer to look at this since it's likely you need a new head unit due to faulty potentiometer (volume control variable resistor failure)

Seats. Simple. Either the wires to the motor or in a multiplug are reversed. This could be as a consequence of service action or even original manufacture. Its also possible that someone has forced the plugs into a switch, ECU etc incorrectly.

Fault is most likely under the passenger seat but could also be at control switch which may not be mounted on the seat dependent upon model etc. Need someone with wiring knowledge to resolve.

TAKE CARE WHEN WORKING ON SEAT MECHANISMS TO PREVENT PERSONAL INJURY.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Default RE: E320 Volume **** Problem. Electronic Seat Problem. This is a Stumper!

I agree with snanceki,

It sounds like your volume control variable resistor is going out. Ie.. faulty potentiometer

Also as mentioned by snanceki, you'll need someone with the right tools and some wiring knowledge to resolve that seat issue.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 AM

thanks for helping a lady out fellas...now my next question is how much do you expect it to cost to fix the seat? how about the radio? thanks...muah

Old 09-24-2006, 04:09 AM

Hi,
How long is a piece of string and which garage are you going to use? etc.

I suspect the seat is a crossed wire or plug which should be repairable without new parts. Of course if the crossover problem is actually in a "module" a new one may be required (expensive) but this is unlikely.

Has this problem existed from new, or as a result of a repair job of some sort, or did you buy second user etc.
If the former ! would "persuade" the garage / MBUSA to sort it for you Free of Charge....however.....this may take some time and effort to achieve.

Subject to you paying I would go to a garage and get them to give you a ranging shot in response to a detailed problem description/history (written).

It will take time to fix so they will want to charge. They may have to remove the seat to gain access to the appropriate electrical connectors.

Think you had better expect 50-100USD but this is purely a wild guess.
What is important is that you have confidence in the way the garage responds to you and their "body language".
Stuart

Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 AM

My radio does the same thing... 97 E320

Old 11-22-2006, 09:53 PM

My radio does it too - 1997 E320. Anyone tried to fix it? Cost? I just "deal" with it & fiddle with the ****.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:02 PM

i have a 1998 clk320 and the radio had a mind of its own! has anyone had any luck fixing this? if so, what was involved what was the cost?