Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panel Removal

Old 04-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Default Door Panel Removal

I am new to this group. I own a 1989 300E. I have a very bad cracking noise (appears something is broken when opening and shutting) in my passenger door. It seems to be coming from the tensioner? (not sure that is the name) that goes into the door.</P>

I am going to attempt to repair this..but I can not even get the door panel off. Please advise me how this panel is removed, or is there any repair info on the problem described?</P>

</P>

Thanks</P>

Graham</P><edited><editID>GrahamL</editID><editDate>38086.478125</editDate></edited>

Old 04-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Default Door Panel Removal

Hello Sleepwalker..</P>

Thanks very much for your response. I am having some difficulty finding the screws you mention. I do not have an AB cover on the passenger door in this 1989 model?? nor do I see a a "round plastic cover described". Is it possible that you are referring to a different model?</P>

Thanks Again</P>

Graham</P><edited><editID>GrahamL</editID><editDate>38088.4170717593</editDate></edited>

Old 04-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Door Panel Removal

sorry GrahamL, i easily get confused with models without the chassis number.

the broken thing is called door holder or door stopper.

here's to remove the door panel or lining:

1) you got a mirror adjuster handle? remove it first by pushing the plastic lock with screwdriver...out of the handle and remove handle.
2) unclip cover at top (the one on that handle) from door frame and pull out in upward direction.
3) force off molding on inside door actuation ( the door opening lever) and remove the screw (you will see it)
4) dis-engage linkage and door handle, push door inside actuation ( the door opening lever) forward and remove.
5) move window downward (if it was up of course ) and remove the window crank (i was thinking of older model now). know how to remove it? just insert a cloth strip enough to get in and rock it like you're cleaning a shoe.
6) remove bordering on door lock (escutcheon or something i mentioned before)
7) push door lining UPWARD and remove. better use a quick and moderate force like doing a tug of war with lugnut's dog.

hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Default RE: Door Panel Removal

Graham,

The problem you describe is due to the door check failing. Be warned that if you don't fix it, the next time you pop down to the shops you'll open the door and not be able to close it again. Happened to me, not fun.

Have already replaced two on my 87 300e and will be doing the other two soon as they start creaking. You can lube the unit and make it last for a while but once the wear gets too much, the whole part seizes right up.

If you haven't got the door panel off yet, start by unscrewing the plastic cover by the door latch, then unclip the plastic panel over the release lever, unscrew the armrest mount then unclip the door release rod from its plastic retainer on the back of the lever. The panel will then lift right off. If you have electric seat adjustment, you'l probably need to unplug the switch unit at some point. The door check unit is held by three bolts and is easy enough to unbolt and manoeuvre out with the window up.

Good luck