Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Flush and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Default Coolant Flush and Replacement

Would appreciate any sage advice offered. I would like to drain, flush and replace the antifreeze/coolant in my '96 E320. I've always had MB dealer do this for me ... but now that I am retired I would like to tackle some of the easier preventive maitenance jobs myself, i.e., oil/filter changes, air filter changes, spark plugs and the like.

Can anyone provide a step-by-step procedure for draining the coolant, flushing and replacing same? I am a novice, so I need location of drain plugs and how to flush the system -- real basic stuff. Also, can you suggest how what kind and how much antifreeze I should add and whether there is any anti-corrosive additive that I ought to be adding? The car has nearly 52,000 miles on it. The last time the coolant was changed was about 2 years ago -- when I look in the pressurized overflow tank, the antifreze looks "spent" to me and there seems to be gunk in the little plastic tank. MB recommends a three year cycle, but I think the antifreeze is ready for change. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Default Just did the flush and drain on my 94 e320

Hey I have a 94 I think the set up is similar but not sure here is the instructions.

Wait until engine is cool an off, Remove radiator cap (located on overfill bottle)
Buy an engine flush kit at parts store It costs about 5 bucks.

You will need to locate the water heater hose and splice it. You then insert the flush kit tube. (SEE PIC) The heater hose should be located right above your water pump to the right and below of your air filter box. (again see pic it is helpful)

Once hose clamps are tight and the flush tube is now part of your system you hook up the connector that comes with the kit. Black end goes to flush tube and the yellow end screws onto garden hose.

Take off radiator cap and turn on the hose. Turn your engine on and turn heater on full blast. Run like this for 5-10 minutes or until the water coming out of overflow bottle is clear. Kit comes with a deflector tube that you stick in the radiator cap hole so you can try to aim where the water goes.

After this is complete you can turn car off, turn water hose off then disconnect connector running to the flush tube. Alot of water will drain out of the flush tube so you do not have to open drain plug if you do not want to. After water is done draining from flush tube top it off with antifreeze/coolant and you are good to go.

Attached Thumbnails  Coolant Flush and Replacement-coolant-flush.jpg