Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

CLK Roof issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 03:41 AM
Default CLK Roof issues

Newbie as I’ve just bought a 2002 CLK W203 with convertible roof. Now I knew the roof didn’t work when I bought it so I was aware of the potential problems. Now when you lift the roof from it’s closed position it doesn’t hold it self up on its own which it’s supposed to do prior to you pulling the switch to complete the opening, like it’s lacking hydraulic power. Another thing I’ve noticed is that when the headrest positing at the rear is down the red light still illuminates like they’re not fully down but they look down to me but when you hold the down switch on the headrests it sounds like the motor is still going and I’m not too sure if this is something that is supposed to happen. Initially when you attempt to open the roof from the switch I hear a clicking sound from the motor at the rear. I suspect it’s something to do with a switch on the headrest motor but can’t be sure and my £20 diagnostic device only reveals a Mass Air Sensor failure which can be fixed. Just wanted to put this out there if anyone else has had similar issues and could provide what to look for as it’s an interesting fault and would love to provide my fix if I found one and I’m sure with the wealth of experience in here we can sort it before the spring arrives.
Thanks in advance

Old 12-12-2022, 11:28 PM
Smile Slowly getting there….

So I’ve found out why the roof didn’t hold up under its own force after watching **** loads of YouTube videos and it was because a tension cable had broken. Mercedes Charge £130 for a new one but I managed to fix my one with a motorcycle clutch spare part and liquid weld all for £21 and a lot of messing around but it worked. Surprisingly the roof started to work……partially. The back opened and the rear window raised and that was it. I’m thinking now that one of the micro switches hasn’t made contact so further investigation is needed…..probably not until March when it gets a tad warmer.