Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

2000 CLK top won't go up or down

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 PM
Default 2000 CLK top won't go up or down

I have a 2000 Mercedes CLK 320 cabriolet. The convertible top will not go up or down. When I open the latch on the convertible top, the windows all go down.

the convertible top button does not do anything.

The convertible top button blinks also chimes during driving and seems to stop when I stop the car pressing on the brake.

The rear head rests go up and down by button no problem.

I've manually put the top down and up to try to reset it.

I checked all the fuses under the hood and in the boot they were fine.

I've changed out the Sensor by the hydraulic pump.

There's plenty of fluid in the hydraulic reservoir and there are no leaks.

It seems to have stopped when replacing my battery.it was working fine until I did change out the battery.

It just stopped working, it seems like this is a common problem with this model, but no one ever seems to have an answer and I've tried most everything that I see people suggest. So, I'm hoping that someone who has actually solved the problem would share what they did since there are so many people asking for suggestions and it's been happening for a long time that somebody must have come up with a solution other than taking to mechanic and having him replace a bunch of things that don't need to be replaced.

any suggestions would be helpful thank you

Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 PM

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a broken wire. This was found by a second mechanic but not before the first one insisted that I need a top switch, which I purchased. He said that my model required two switches, it didn't it only required one switch anyway. I took it to another garage after the first one kept pushing my job back. The second garage found the problem straight away. Should you require a switch I have one that I have attempted to sell on ebay unsuccessfully. Get back to me if you find you require a switch. I am trying to sell it for £25 which is a fraction of what I paid for it. Hope you get it sorted.
Dave