Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing timing chain and adjusting tension.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Default RE: Replacing timing chain and adjusting tension.

I finally decided to set the time to replace the timing chain yesterday...now I am
into some delay..How much delay....you guys probably knows more.

I removed only the top engine cover...and will attempt to replace chain and top guide rail. Broke the link and conneted the new to the old and started rotating the crankshaft till the new one comes out.
I was pressing on the new chain at the exhaust sprocket....anyway around halfway the chain skipped or went over a tooth while it was getting pulled by turning the crankshaft. So I continued turning it to make jump it back before linking the new chain.
The new chain starting end came out then while i was connecting it together i found it 2 sprocket teeth away. I removed the upper timing cover to see the tensioner then decide to loosen then removed the rod and spring.....and now it is a tooth apart. Tried to shake of the chain at the crank and link it.... it does seems all is good down inside the crank cover and no more tensioner causing the chain to be still short...or cannot link them.
I got new seal for the between upper and lower timing cover......anybody got some idea what happened on this and how to correct this..
.....and also what is the position of the two sprocket at TDC and what is the physical marking at the gear and where should it be positioned...
.....one more guys is what sealant or liquid gasket on there or I should use on the timing cover against the block...any technic how to install the upper cover so not to roll the U rubber gasket......

Need help or suggestion on this to get back together....I'll be continuing it today and check the forum time to time..for feedback..

Thanks...........

Old 04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Default RE: Replacing timing chain and adjusting tension.

Check out the Article Section on Head Gasket Replacement. Steve is very good and covers the timing chain within this article.
http://www.continentalimports.com/ci_home.html