Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

O6 radio reception issue in the shop now

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Default O6 radio reception issue in the shop now

When I first picked up my car I was getting very good radio reception but it began to slowly diminish. I drive 30 miles to work and like to listen to the radio the entire way. All of my other vehicles get great reception with no interference the entire trip. I took it in for the issue already and they say it tested fine and gave it back with no repair. What is strange is the reception was good for the first few days it was back but again began to decline. I do not have navi just the single CD radio. What do you think is the deal? I hate to keep taking it back to the dealership but if the loaner they give me with the same style radio and antenna can get signal so should my car.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Default RE: O6 radio reception issue in the shop now

You didn't mention what model you have, but if the antenna is located in the rear window, it would be the vertical strip in the middle. It could have a very, very small tear that has severed it and your reception would be effected. Also, you didn't mentioned where you live? Are there a lot of FM stations, or do you listen to AM stations, AM reception is general horrible. Also, the lead for the antenna to the radion could be damaged alon gthe way, even a crack in the insulation and the wire is rubbing on something metal could short out the antenna. What system do you have? Bose is just the speaker, what radio head. I had a problem with the original radio, and it was replaced with a Becker and the reception was much better. sensitivity is very important in car audio systems. I would say. 1. Antenna has is broken either in the windshield or the cable to the radio has a problem, insist they replace the cable first. As fixing the antenna that is in glass is like fixing the rear window defroster a patch, and I doubt warranty or not. They will balk at putting in a new rear window. My neighbor had her front window crack from stress? needed some Atavin? Anyway, the insurance company, sent out their installer and he crack two windshield trying to install. She insisted on Mercedes, they also cracked the first one. the second one held. The same dealer where I bought my car. The service write told me when a car comes in with a windscreen or rear window replacment every tech shivers, as they don't want the job, but it is a rotation thing at this dealership.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 PM

The car is a c230 and teh radio is the base model i only listen to FM and it comes and goes very bad.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 PM

Should make much of a different, only thing about FM signal they are are shorter in range then AM. FCC ruling. As FM was originally for college radion stations and the military. As the internet started for college to college communications, now it is worldwide and no one has control? Terminator 3 was right on.

Anyway, if you travel in low areas or passed hills mountains, but is the area's Terrian are straight forward, then I would get a good magnifying glass and look closely at the antenna, if it is in the glass, and then the cable from the antenna to the radio. Also, you just might have a weak signal seeking radio?

Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM

I do pass through hilly areas but the other vehicles i drive have no problems with the channels and the loaner car they gave me with the same radio and antenna never even got static

Old 12-09-2005, 03:38 PM

Ok so I just got off the phone with the dealer and they told me they drove it around town and picked up over 20 radio station. Well of course they did its in a major city and I drive into the country for work. I'm really pissed at this point, every other car I drive performs fine through the area but this one. When I explained that the loaner cars they have given me they have went so far as to say that the quality was higher in those vehicles. I am meeting with the tech manager later tonight anyone have any suggestions for me?