Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Need help on HID

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Default RE: Need help on HID

Now I understnad I have haolgen sysytem I will change to halgen blue lights but I wonder will it be bright as HID's anyone know thanks.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:22 AM

nope, not even close....I tried using them in my MX-3 when I had it...and then my last car (04 Mazda 3) had Xenons....they dont even compare

Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 AM

The halogen blue-tinted bulbs actually shine less bright than ordinary halogen bulbs. In order to get the bluish tint, other visible light colors are filtered out of the beam. If you install them, you'll find yourself straining to see in areas where it gets very dark, like country backroads, for example.

Sylvania Silver Star bulbs are ordinary halogen bulbs that shine a little bit brighter than the usual halogens and is a good choice for a replacement bulb, IMO. They're just halogen, though.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Old 09-30-2005, 03:35 AM

So ive deicded to pick up a pair of HID's on ebay. Their JDM...these are the only ones I could find on ebay which will work for my car. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-M...temZ8003789971 Anyways I wanted to know which bulbs would you guys recommond. Like H1, H3, H7 etc. thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Whats up? did you ever find a compatible HID kit.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:57 AM

H1, H3, H7 refers to the size and socket of the bulb H1 is usually your projector bulb and H3 is smaller and used for the fog lamps at least that was the case with my old car. H7...no clue cause I didn't have that size probably a projector headlamp bulb also... I am guessing.
so it depends which bulb size your headlamp assembly takes they should tell you what bulb size they take or you can figure it out only the right size will plug in anyway.
Also I went through a ton of bulbs when I swiched out trying to find the perfect light and although the blue and violet light is great looking they are never as bright as the pure white HID's
So Cool vs. Visibility....Your decision entirely.
Not at all relevant but....Be aware when I switched to HID from halogen on my 2002 Jetta 1.8t I had to get a whole new headlamp assembly they were self leveling and the headlight itself was completely different than the old halogen one. I also needed to install a new headlamp switch on the dashboard. But you shouldn't have to with the MB's
It cost me around 2000$ CDN These lamps were plug and play so they just plugged right in to where they took the the others ones off.
Make sure you don't have to redo wiring to the headlamps cause this could become a huge production.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 PM

You're basically talking about 2 different technologies:Halogen andHID (which usesXenon gas as a catalyst and accelerator).Similar to standardlights, Halogenlampsuse a tungsten filament, but it's encased inside a much smaller quartz envelope. The gas inside the envelope isdifferentas itconsists of a gas from the halogen group. You basically get more light per unit of energy when halogens are compared to standard lights. HID (high intensity discharge) lamps are usually seen in the form of mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights used as street lamps and as outdoor lighting for stadiums. In the case of HID headlights, the same high-pressure technology is used. However, designers of the headlights had to solve one problem with normal mercury vapor lamps--the fact that they have long start-up times. Xenon helps solve the start-up problem, as does a special controller. Which is why they're not standard on all cars--not even on many luxury cars yet. If you don't remember paying extra forBi-Xenons--as they're not standard--you probably don't have them on your car. They look completely different than Halogens as well. You can swap your current halogen bulbs for the blue bulbs you're looking for. I would take C280 Wizard's advice and buy the Sylvania Silver Stars. You should be able to buy them at your local auto parts store as well.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM

It seems like he's just WANTING to buy something off e-bay. I say go ahead....get the lights there. But be sure to come back and tell all the guys here how right they were and how you had to replace your wiring behind those hook-ups b/c you chose cheap parts. =)
(and I speak from expierience b/c I melted down BOTH light sockets on my 05 Escalade with EBAY CRAP!!!) I paid $350 to have it fixed because even my OEM's wouldn't burn with the melted sockets....and ended up getting the Silverstar's anyway and loved them!!! People here give advice based on things that have already happened.......the key is to listen and learn. =)

Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 PM

It is really difficult to choose from a various hid kits as there are too many brands available. I was also confused about my hid kits I have changed a lot of different hid kits still i don't find my car mate any suggestion are most welcome