Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K and N air filter installed in C280 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Default K and N air filter installed in C280 Sport

I just installed a K and N air filter in my 2000 C280 Sport. I hope this will give me bettermpg and more horsepower. Give some feedback

Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Default RE: K and N air filter installed in C280 Sport

As a hot rodder and engine builder for more than 35 years, I can tell you that there are threads and more threads
on a million different sites about filters, K&N's, etc. and the discussions/disagreements, etc. abound. I have read mostly
all of them, and used K&N's myself on my self-built engines over the years. I have dyno tuned many of them with and without
K&N's and seen the results on the dyno. You may want to consider this:
1. Different engines show different results. This I know for a fact.
2. Some of the claims are wildly exaggerated, even by the owner's themselves.
3. They aren't for those who don't ever want to go through the cleaning process, even though they do not
require cleaning for a long time.
4. They DO flow more air than a stock paper filter, but whether you get that big mileage increase you were looking for
or that 8-20hp they claimed for your application whatever that may be, is subject to a lot of things. A LOT.
5. On my supercharged V8, with a BDS 6-71 supercharger, two Holley carburetors, and 488hp out of a mild street 289,
the filters were worth an additional 8 hp at 6,000rpm on the dyno over paper filters. As I said, it's different for
every application.
6. I use them because I can and will clean them whenever I want, plus I don't ever have to buy another paper filter.
7. On my '98 Viper, they were worth 10 hp over the stock twin paper elements in the air box.
8. On my '05 Mercedes C230K, I don't know what they gave me. Never dyno'ed the car. Don't look for a million hp
increase or gobs of extra mileage. Just be happy you don't have to buy another filter.

CLEANING TIPS:

Hope this will be helpful to new K&N owners......

1. Don't be obsessive about cleaning them often. They actually work better a bit dirty.
2. When you MUST clean them, and the urge is just too great to leave them alone, get a fairly deep pot from the kitchen.
3. DO NOT LET THE WIFE SEE YOU GET IT. (A very important and critical step in this whole thing!)
4. Fill it with the K&N filter cleaner so it's several inches deep. The stuff is pink and looks like water, but it's not.
5. Submerse the dirty filter in the solution so it is on it's side and ROLL the filter over and over in the solution.
6. The solution will turn black REAL fast. That's what it's supposed to do. KEEP ROLLING IT..
7. Throw the dirty stuff away. You cannot reuse it. Fill the pot with cool water and roll the clean filter in it over and over.
8. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR!!!!!!!!
9. Remove the clean filter from the water when the water is clear after rolling many times, and place the filter outside in the sun
to dry. This can take a while, but again, do not blow it dry with an air gun. You will ruin it.
10. When totally dry, take the K&N spray oil (it's supposed to be red, don't panic) and hold the filter in one hand and turn it
slowly while you spray about 3 inches away.....LIGHTLY COATING all the pleats ONCE. DO NOT REPEAT THIS. Once is fine.
11. Now you're ready to re-install the filter and sleep at night.
12. THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL STEP>>>>>DONT FORGET IT>>>>>>Later that night, when the wife is asleep, tiptoe in the
kitchen with the pot you used. Be sure not to make any noise. This could wake somebody and cause a major incident. Perhaps
worse. Thoroughly clean the pot and dry, and return it carefully to it's EXACT location in the kitchen. Be sure nobody sees you
and above all........ABOVE ALL.......quickly deny any allegations that you used a kitchen pot for automotive use.

"What, honey??????>>>>>OH NO, I DIDN"T DO THAT"......practice saying this so you perfect the intonation. You want it to sound real.
"Oh, no, dear......not me.....I wouldn't do that"......and smile. Practice that one too. Use the bathroom mirror to practice.