Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

This is a horribly frightening forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Default RE: This is a horribly frightening forum

As much as I'd like to find good car-shopping advice in a newspaper, I find it a little less than convincing. There was not one tangible bad thing in that quote. In fact, the only tangible things were extremely complimentary to Lexus. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was some clever reverse-psychology marketing by Lexus!

I can understand people being less than thrilled by the ES series and maybe even the GS series. But, to say that the new IS and LS models are lacking in any way, just indicates to me that the person is just trying to be argumentative.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Buford

As much as I'd like to find good car-shopping advice in a newspaper, I find it a little less than convincing. There was not one tangible bad thing in that quote. In fact, the only tangible things were extremely complimentary to Lexus. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was some clever reverse-psychology marketing by Lexus!

I can understand people being less than thrilled by the ES series and maybe even the GS series. But, to say that the new IS and LS models are lacking in any way, just indicates to me that the person is just trying to be argumentative.
I totally agree with that, and also add the RX, [IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-30-2006, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: washoor

I totally agree with that, and also add the RX
I don't know if that's a vote for or against the RX. Their midsize SUV gets pretty high marks from Consumer Guide. If they were large enough for a third row seat, I might consider one. But, even if they had the extra seat, they are awful pricey. The big LX has the passenger capacity that I need, but it's way too expensive (particularly since it's not much more than just a trim level of the Land Cruiser). Still. I'm sure the RX and LX are awesome. Saturday we plan to go shop for the family hauler, and we aren't going to look at luxury cars. I'm guessing the front-runners will be the Toyota Highlander, the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Pilot. I don't think we will be able to go wrong with any of them; but I suspect the Highlander will be the favorite.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Buf,
We have much in common other than our Lexus disagreement.

My wife drives a Honda Pilot. We have a 2003 with 65k miles on it. No problems to report. It is
very adequate in most all areas.

We have the EX-L with DVD. I think they have improved the interior materials of the new
models a bit. Our leather is not what I call high grade and there is use of MANY different
textures and materials inside our 2003. Hopefully the new interiors are better.

It gets about 17 MPG around town in mixed driving, nothing to get excited about. The
third row is excellent and it really will seat 8.

The V6 is good, the automatic has not been a problem. The factory tires were Goodyear
lack of Integrity's and they stunk, particularly in wet or snow and have been replaced with
good Kumhos.

Check out the Pilot. We are quite pleased with it.

-Eric

Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: no_mo_bmw

My wife drives a Honda Pilot. We have a 2003 with 65k miles on it. No problems to report. It is
very adequate in most all areas.
My sister (with 2 kids) is very fond of her Pilot. Their second vehicle is a CR-V. My parents just purchased an Odyssey with almost every bell and whistle on it that you could imagine. So, my side of the family seems to prefer Honda products. My wife and I (as well as my in-laws) strongly prefer Toyotas. I think that between Hondas and Toyotas that the decision is almost a coin toss. My sister went with the Pilot because the Highlander's third row seats didn't fold completely flat. And, my parents went with the Odyssey because the Toyota salesman didn't nag them enough (believe it or not, they were disappointed when the guy didn't hound them... I would have been overjoyed). I think we lean toward Toyotas because we already own one, and so we already have a service relationship with that dealership.

Our family hauler will not have leather (it's a giant chew-toy for a dog). This particular vehicle purchase will be based much more on utilitarian needs than luxury.

At the risk of stirring the pot, can you sum up exactly what you don't like about the Lexus (and which specific model)? Did you test drive one? If your dislike of them is based on some sort of generic feeling that they don't have the prestige of a Mercedes, that's fine. I'll not agree, but I'm not going to tell you your opinion is no good. After all, it's your opinion.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:11 AM

I have to let u know... I got a 2002 c230K for my first car when i turned 17 and i had a great deal of problems... but thankfully the vehicle came backed with a 4yr warranty. and let me tell you the reps at mb here in delaware know me by face and first and last name and know everything about me and my car because i've seen the lights of that dealership soo many times (too many). and the whole reason why my parents got me a new car was so i dont get stuck on the side of the road with some sort of engine problem... and i have never experienced that but my point, mercedes service is the best so at least if anything does go wrong they always have a solution and do their best to help. and loaner vehicles are always provided even for a job that can take 1-2 hours (blown bulb for example). but mine i think could have passed for a lemon... i have bad luck.

C-classes are the best deal for the money, i've looked into lexus, bmw, audi, saab, land rover and even porsche and mercedes just turns heads and makes your day, everday. I feel like a million-bucks in mine! and i'm sure you'll enjoy it as well! good luck! =)

Old 08-31-2006, 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: mariam
for my first car when i turned 17
Would your parents consider adopting a 43 year old?

ORIGINAL: mariam
C-classes are the best deal for the money
I hate to bust your bubble on this one, but the rest of your post doesn't really support this statement. If you're happy with it, that's all that is important; but rest assured that it's possible to have your automotive cake and eat it too.

I don't know if you have ever heard the radio show called "Car Talk" but it's a show hosted by two brothers (Tom and Ray?), and I always find it entertaining. I once remember them talking to a guest who had called in with a question about auto parts stores. They said that there was a huge chunk of the population that didn't know anything about auto parts stores. These people are called "Japanese car owners." I thought it was funny, and pretty accurate. Having owned a bunch of German and American cars (and one Korean car), I couldn't disagree. Until I started buying non-Japanese cars, the idea of a mechanical problem was an anathematic mystery to me. Other people have had other results, but those were mine. There are cars that you change the oil every four to six thousand miles, and put gas in them, wash the bugs off... and that's about it. Do they make you "feel like a million-bucks"? Probably not. That may be important to you as you get older, and maybe it won't. If someone told me this back when I was in my mid-20s (the start of my hardcore German car phase), I would have ignored them. I was willing to give up reliability for prestige and tactile driving fun. These days I see things a little differently.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Buford,
I will try to sum this up as best I can.

When spending $30k on a car it needs to "speak to me".

My previous BMW's and the C230 do. The Lexus does not.

The logical part of brain may make a good argument:

"Hey Eric, on paper the IS250 is the best car. It looks
fantastic, and you certainly cannot argue with the reliability.
All around it is the best package although it commands
premium $$"

Then the emotional side kicks in:

"Eric....life is short. Wouldnt you rather look
down the hood at a Silver Star instead? Remember
all the fantastic machines MBZ has made over the
years....? Gee the dealers sure want to blow
out the C230, you can lease it over 3 years
and give it back if it is not reliable. You
can drive the Miata too....The C230 sure is pretty
and has 200 hp...."

It just comes down to what you want to spend
$30+K on and how it makes you feel.

It is totally personal. I know the IS is a better
car, but the C230 was a very good value, and
I get a personal enjoyment enjoy owning a Mercedes Benz,
it is one of an elite group of the "finer things in life" of which
I have few!

Maybe a Rolex watch some day. Right now my TAG is pretty nice.

-Eric

Old 08-31-2006, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: no_mo_bmw

It just comes down to what you want to spend
$30+K on and how it makes you feel.

It is totally personal. I know the IS is a better
car
I sort of figured it boiled down to that. Like I promised, I'm not going to tell you your opinion is wrong. But, it definitely is wrong for me.

The few times that I have been able to drive a Lexus, they have made me feel like I was driving a luxurious, prestigious, well-made automobile. MBZ products do the same; but I worry about the reliability. My track record with premium German cars has not been good. But, I'm trying to be fair. I made this thread so that I could get some feedback on what sort of reliability they do offer. Honestly, the feedback has not been as encouraging as I had hoped. "Mariam" described the car as needing lots of repairs. Others have become defensive, and fallen back on comparing the Mercedes-Benz to a Camry (sort of like saying you're ready for the NFL because your team can beat the local High School squad). So, I suppose the shopping will continue.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 AM

i love my c class i got a 230 kompressor there great. i recommend it for a guy lookin for a classy ride with power