Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is a horribly frightening forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Default This is a horribly frightening forum

I am new to MF, and I joined up so I could get some inside info specifically on the C class. I'm in the middle of some no hurry car shopping, and I would like to consider some premium sport sedans. However, when I look at all the threads in this part of MF, I don't see alot of positive feedback on the C class.

Should I not consider the C230 or C350 sport sedans?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Default RE: This is a horribly frightening forum

Don't be fooled, dude. We all love our cars like our babies and are completely **** about every little thing we think might be wrong or could potentially go wrong with our cars.

That said, Mercedes are expensive to fix. Anything that you can get done for cheap or do yourself you will heartily appreciate.

Everyday I wake up, the best part of my morning is the part where I get into my Mercedes for the drive to work.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I think my big concern is getting the most dependable luxury vehicle possible... probably keeping it in the <$40K range. Even though I enjoyed all the vehicles in my signature block, they all developed some expensive problems that I didn't expect. Ironically, the one exception to this is the Miata... which has been mercilessly thrashed by some relatives, and had a rough life.

If I think back on the problems I had, I could almost swear off German cars completely.

The Lexus IS250 is probably at the top end of my price range (and I haven't heard much good about its maunal trans). Anyway.... just trying to get a feel for people's impressions on the C's.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 AM

I am not sure what you have read on this forum that has bad info on c class, but I had a C230 that was the most reliable care I have ever owned. I acutally just gave it to a family member for more enjoyable worry-free driving. Although I had the dealership do most of the work on the car (OIL Brakes etc.) it was still a cheap car to run when the cost was averaged over the number of miles driven.

There were several problems with model years 2001 through 2004 but apparently MB has learned a lesson and gone back to cranking out good machines!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 PM

Yep. Please understand that forums like this generally get posts from people with issues. If the car is running top notch, there's often no need to ever join up.

Kind of analgous to this: You often hear of anecdotes about dolphins helping shipwrecked people into shore. So people tend to think dolphins are kind. Thing is, you'd never hear from people that the dolphins helped further out to sea....

Old 08-25-2006, 01:20 AM

That is exacty right about the forum. I don't know about that dolphin stuff though.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: 2benz boy

I am not sure what you have read on this forum that has bad info on c class
Well, it was sort of the aggregate of all the thread titles that fed my concern. I do understand that when folks aren't having problems that they're not necessarily motivated to come to an internet forum and report it.

I like the dolphin analogy.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM

Yeah, but by that same rationale, Any automotive board is going to make whatever vehicle look like an extremely expensive, difficult to fix car made out of the lowest quality parts imaginable.

I have to admit, I was totally afraid of my Mercedes the first time I saw it; hesitant the first time I drove it; completely in love with it a week into owning it.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: jgustin

I have to admit, I was totally afraid of my Mercedes the first time I saw it; hesitant the first time I drove it; completely in love with it a week into owning it.
Thanks for the feedback. I have plenty of time to window-shop. By the time I get serious about a sport-sedan, my wife and I will have a Camry, a Miata and (probably) a Highlander between the two of us. Right now, I'd have to admit that I'm leaning toward the Lexus IS.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 PM

Buford,
I will chime in, and FWIW I too have a Miata, a'97 with 119k miles that looks and runs like a 3 year old car and is so much fun to drive it keeps the '06 C230 in the garage gathering dust.

About six months ago I leased a C230. I had previously owned two 3 Series BMW's - a sedan than a gorgeous Coupe. I went with the C230 for a few reasons:

1) My E36 BMW's were lovely designs - the current 3 Series is at best an acquired taste in 330 form and not too attractive in 325 form

2) The C230 had a full size spare and not run flats which I did not want

The Lexus was very new when I was shopping and I did not really consider it. I looked at Audi A4, BMW 325i and C230.

In my opinion the C230 is not the class leader in any single particular area - but offered me the best overall value in the class.

It '06 Sport does have very attractive timeless lines and I think it will age well. The interior and every detail is impressive. I have driven it about 3000 miles with no issues of any kind.

I shied away from the Audi since I did not want FWD or Turbo particularly and the Quattro was not in the price range. The interior did not match the MBZ in my opinion. The BMW dealer had an attitude such as "here is the car, this is the price, you can buy it at this price or the next guy will......NEXT!"

The MBZ folks wanted to sell C Class, and the lease terms were good so I jumped at it.

It may not be quite as engaging to drive as my BMW's were, but it is very close and very elegant and makes me feel good to drive it.

I do not at all question my decision thus far.

Quick Reply: This is a horribly frightening forum